rear end help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:50 PM
2nd Gear member
Default rear end help

rear end is making a noise every time its on about 2000 rpms and im wondering wat it is, my gears??? anyone know wat im talkin about? is my rear end dieing???

Old 01-22-2008, 11:27 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: rear end help

Change your diet and eat one of those yogurts to stay regular.

But seriouslyif its only occuring at a certain RPM range I'd say its the tranny, not the rear end. Mine was shuddering everytime it was in the 3k-4k rpm range, until the tranny broke. I believe the planetary gearsetchipped.Getting a full rebuild for it soon.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 98ss4REAL

rear end is making a noise every time its on about 2000 rpms and im wondering wat it is, my gears??? anyone know wat im talkin about? is my rear end dieing???
You sure you're not leaking fluid? I know if it's low on fluid back there it will whine at you.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The same thing happened in my cousins SS, he put lucas oil in the rear end and it quietened it down, but come to find out he had to hve the bearings replaced in the rearend.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear member

thnks im gonna have it checked out

Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

if the whine is truly coming from the rear end there is too much slack between the ring and pinion gear.possibly a warn out bearing causing the slack or shotty rearend work done by someone. Sick

Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member

since we're on the subject i have a question too.

my car whines in all gears except 4th, but in third gear, when i'm doing about 30 mph at aroud 2000rpm, the gear shifter whill bob up and down, and you can feel it in the car just a little bit. the carrier bearing in the driveshaft isn't completely messed up, but i've been told i need a new driveshaft because you can't buy carrier bearings seperately. could it be the driveshaft that's making the shifter do that? i know that's not the source of the whining, i think it's my throwout bearing. sometimes it doesnt want to go into gear while sitting still and i'll have to ease out on the clutch as i put it in gear. if i work with it and finally get it in without easing out on the clutch, you can hear a teeny tiny chirping sound, just barely. but my car has been whining for a really long time now, is that a sign that the throwout bearing is nearly shot? i've also been told that the rear end can make a whining sound too. but all i hear is a sort of grinding noise from back there, and i'm almost sure it's my exhaust, seeing as how it didn't do it before it was put on there. and it sometimes makes that noise in the back when i'm just sitting in neutral, so that shouldn't be the rear end should it?

sorry for the long message.