The rear end!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Default The rear end!

If everything goes acording to plan i will own a 02 z with a six speed by suday of next weekend ... my question is when i went and drove the car i heard what i can only describe as a low pitch whine/howl comming more from the rear of the car not towards the front possibly the tranny do these cars tend to make a little bit of noise??? or could the car possibly have improperly installed gears
the car sat on the dealer lot 10 days b4 anyone moved it was this just it working its own bugs out? oh and hello im new to the forum

Old 09-15-2007, 06:51 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: The rear end!

You might want to have it checked out by an indipendant mechanic, these cars are known for weak rear ends and 6 speed cars are particularly hard on the rears.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey dudeI've heard a similar noise coming from the rear of my96 3.8,I hear it afterI take my foot off the gas, it's sort of a whistling noisesoI at first thought it was an exhaust leak but I just put on a brand new Magnaflow cat-back system and it still makes the noise so it is obviously not the exhaust so I don't know what it is, if you find out what it is then tell me please. =-)

Old 09-16-2007, 02:34 AM
4th Gear Member

all i can hear in my car is my exhaust.. so i cant really help.. all i kno is that posi rear end ftw... my rear end can take damage all day long.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:14 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

all i can hear in my car is my exhaust.. so i cant really help.. all i kno is that posi rear end ftw... my rear end can take damage all day long.
Not if it's a stock 10 bolt it can't.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:19 AM

i will post any progress with the car and if i find out whats up with it but, the car has 30 thousand miles and its on a dealer lot so i can do a trade in the dealer is 2 miles away from my sisters college so its pretty convienient... not gonna find many cleaner ones in the area i feel so might as well bight the bullet if something goes on the car replace it stronger... oh and i too plan to have my exhaust blaring loud so i wont hear too much else after that lol

Old 09-16-2007, 02:09 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Not if it's a stock 10 bolt it can't.
If i recall its not.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My 95 Z28 was making a whining noise in the rear end after I fixed the front seal leak it had and replaced the gear oil with Royal Purple. I could only here it when I was rolling through a parking lot kinda slow and turning the wheel either way. Drained a tiny bit of fluid and replaced it with Posi-X(I think that's what it was). It is a diff additive specifically designed to remove whines and noises. It worked great and I haven't had a problem since.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:56 PM

ill look into that thanks alot...

Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I have killed a few gear sets in the stock rear end, if it starts making a high pitch whine, especially when letting off the gas or when you just accelerate it is most likely the gears and is only a matter of time before it takes a crap on the road and you have a nice walk home.

After having my camaro since 1998, out of all things I learned the stock rear end is the weakest link period, if you have to repair the gears, consider upgrading to a better rear end, consider a 9" 12 bolt or strange S60, but look into the rear ends, I hear some have tread in screws to retain the torque are and are known for coming lose.

Quick Reply: The rear end!