Rear defrost issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Rear defrost issue

I just bought a '95 Camaro with a 3.4 V6 with 32k miles on it and it seems to be is great condition with a few small issues. The first issue is that whenever I turn on the rear defrost it will stay on and start to defrost the window for about 5 seconds and then shut off. I then have to wait another 5 to 10 seconds and go through this process again and again. Any ideas on this? The seatbelt warning light also stays on constantly, and the oil pressure warning light stays on as well, even though the guage shows approx. 20-30, which is normal and when I check it under the hood it is fine there as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bradd

Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 PM
4th Gear Member

I think those cars have a oil level sensing unit in the oil pan, that may be bad or have a broken connection causing the oil warning light to be on.

Not sure about the defrost thing. Do you show a big difference in voltage on the dash when you turn it on? Could be a relay with dirty contacts. Not sure on that one.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Just an unhelpful amusing observation here... on my '94, I can't get the seatbelt light to come on, and on your '95, you can't get it to go off. Personally, I'd rather have my problem over yours. Oh, and I have plain glass on the back window with no defroster, so nothing to worry about there, too.

Sorry I can't help... I hope you can solve your problems.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the timer and relay is in the switch. replace the switch. like the duck says check your oil level sensor wires and test it, is in the side of the oil pan. check all the seatbelt plugs to see if there pluged in.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

All of the seatbelt wires are plugged in, so I will continue to do some checking on that to try to figure it out. As far as the defrost and oil sensor, I will take care of those as well. I really appreciate all of the help and advice given.

Thanks,

KcLive

Old 03-18-2010, 07:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

disconnect the wires off your hatch that supplies the power to the rear defrost. theres 2 on either side.. once disconnected, hit your button, if the light stays on, then it must be something with the elements goign across your rear window...

I would say you have a oil pressure sensor messin up somewhere.

Your seat belt is what completes the circuit when you plug in your belt.. when you fasten your belt, it grounds making your light to go out.. you either have dirt in your belt, or dirt on the belt clip or somethign is stopping it from completing the circuit to turn light off in cluster... a quick fix for this, is take the 2 wires going in your belt buckle, cut and twist together..., your belt light will never come on again.

Last edited by midrange; 03-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If worse comes to worse and everything checks out, just remove the bulb from the cluster. haha. Just make sure you always are checking your oil so you do not fry the motor.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by midrange
disconnect the wires off your hatch that supplies the power to the rear defrost. theres 2 on either side.. once disconnected, hit your button, if the light stays on, then it must be something with the elements goign across your rear window...

I would say you have a oil pressure sensor messin up somewhere.

Your seat belt is what completes the circuit when you plug in your belt.. when you fasten your belt, it grounds making your light to go out.. you either have dirt in your belt, or dirt on the belt clip or somethign is stopping it from completing the circuit to turn light off in cluster... a quick fix for this, is take the 2 wires going in your belt buckle, cut and twist together..., your belt light will never come on again.

I took the two wires off of the buckle for the seat belt, cut them, and twisted them together, and the dang light still comes on and stays on. I am not sure what the issue with this is, but it is driving me crazy.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i've heard of people unplugging something under the drivers seat. I know theres a plug there.. see if yours is plugged in, if so, unplug, see if it goes out.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if someones in the seat without the belt on in the passenger side the light will turn on so dont forget to check both sides.

Quick Reply: Rear defrost issue