Really strange electrical issues (All hands on deck for this one!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Really strange electrical issues (All hands on deck for this one!)

So lately I've been having really weird things going on with the electronics in my 1997 RS. The flasher will work, eventually get slower, then die. If I switch from one direction to the next, it works fine, or not at all. There are time when the flasher doesn't even work at all. I should make a note here that the flasher bulbs have all been replaced in front and back, and the flasher unit under the dash has been replaced with a new one as well.

Moving on, the parking lights on the front act strangely as well. Sometimes the passenger side does not light, other times the drivers side does not light. And even weirder, there are times when both lights come on! These bulbs has also been replaced at the same time as the turn signal lights and all of the bulbs in the tail light housings.

Is this a common issue with 4th gens? I've seen other posts about the flasher, but this is just (Insert expletive of your choice here, I'm from New York)-in' weird

Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your grounds. should be one on each side under the kick pads. should also be a couple on the cross brace above the radiator. make sure there clean and getting good connection to ground. are you sure you changed the blnker flasher and not the emergincy flasher. http://shbox.com/1/flashers.jpg

Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
check your grounds. should be one on each side under the kick pads. should also be a couple on the cross brace above the radiator. make sure there clean and getting good connection to ground. are you sure you changed the blnker flasher and not the emergincy flasher. http://shbox.com/1/flashers.jpg
I actually used that exact picture as reference when I changed the flasher and yes, it was the turn signal flasher. I checked both grounds near the radiator when I changed the unit and they seemed to be fine. I took a piece of 150 grit sandpaper and cleaned them up, as well as the paint on the cross brace to be sure that the ground was solid. Everything checked out fine, imo. Would you be able to post a picture or link to where the other grounds would be so I can check them out tomorrow?

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that the lights work when I turn on the hazard switch, so I doubt it's a grounding issue

Last edited by DDRDiesel; 07-13-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

only a couple things it could be that i know of. blinker switch or bcm. or bad ground. should do ohm/test light test on the ground at the bulbs. look at number 11 here and see if some of it sounds like your issue https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...62/#post557634

Name:  PC180001.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  43.5 KB

Last edited by craby; 07-13-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'm leaning towards the turn signal switch too. That's a common denominator between the left and right side.
Next time the light acts up, try tapping on the stalk, or quickly rocking it up and down slightly, and see if anything happens.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I'll check out the turn signal switch tomorrow while I'm busy with the front sway bar (The old one is coming out even if I have to rip it out with my bare hands and savage brute strength). Doesn't sound like a BCM issue to me, so I'll see if I can find the switch while the sun is still up

Old 09-01-2012, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Due to extenuating circumstances, I have yet to get to that front sway bar or the grounds. I've limited the issue to tue turn signal switch. It's definitely going to have to be replaced, considering it's most likely stock to begin with. I'm currently in the process of getting everything together for the new steering wheel to go in place, I'll change the switch at the same time as the wheel. And if THAT doesn't work... I'll just be SOL

Old 10-07-2012, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Finally got the new sheen and turn signal switch installed. Lights were still having the same problem, so I tried a new flasher unit. Nothing. Now the lights turn on, but stay on. No blinking or flashing. Same with the hazards. Not sure where to check for the grounds, and with the bad weather rolling in, I doubt I'll get to it any time soon. This car is going to give me a stroke, I swear

Old 10-07-2012, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear member

man, it sounds like wiring is messed up and something (maybe ground) is causing it to not signal back and forth.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Greg08
man, it sounds like wiring is messed up and something (maybe ground) is causing it to not signal back and forth.
electrical isn't brain surgery when you think about it

In this case, there is a bulb which requires 12 vdc to light (or a little less as well)

the reason there is a switch is to break the bulb from always being on. You see, it's always "hot" or "live" and a switch breaks the connection. In the case of a flasher (turn signal) you aren't going to be flicking the turn lever up and down to open/close the circuit so a relay is installed. The relay has a period of time where it opens and closes the circuit and thus tinka tinka tinka.

there may be a bad switch, there may be a bad relay, there may be an exposed wire grounding out, there may be dirty splices, bulb sockets corroded, connector corroded etc.

Where we tend to spin our wheels or as programmers call getting caught in an unconditional loop is when we over-complicate things.

The joys of older, previously owned vehicles is finding splices made as repairs, bad connections, hacks from installing bumping stereo systems, cut grounds underneath the hood etc etc.

what to do

stop posting in the forum hoping for suggestions about wiring

got to Ebay or Amazon and pay the money for a FACTORY service manual which has the wiring diagram and verify it the entire path.

Then, come back and tell us which wire was corroded, which socket was bad or which relay/switch was the problem or wiring to said relay/switch

PS- none of the electrical wires within a vehicle are intended for being exposed to the elements be it earth, water or sun. (there is wiring which can: think telephone or electric company) But, we let wet goo and junk sit on them, let gasoline, oil, alcohol,and other items get all over them and expect decades of trouble free driving...............think about it