random discussion - hood scoop adding HP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default random discussion - hood scoop adding HP?

technically, what forced induction (turbo or supercharger) does is force more air into the air intake correct? if that is so wouldn't a functional ram air add some HP? or some other form of intake that sucks in air being forced in due to the speed of the car (such as a tube in the place of the fog lights)

Old 06-25-2009, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Technically yes, but you won't notice a difference until you're moving very very fast. I think 'significant' horsepower increases aren't seen until 80+ mph or something.

You're much better off with a CAI.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The cooler the air coming into the intake, the better for performance. You're not going to realize any "ram air" or "forced induction" benefits from a hood scoop while driving highway speeds. What you will get though is outside air coming into the intake, and that's better than any CAI that's crammed into a dead air space cavity. Plus, air in motion does give a cooling effect. If you don't believe that, stick your head out the window for a while while you're driving and see if it chills your face.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The cooler the air coming into the intake, the better for performance. You're not going to realize any "ram air" or "forced induction" benefits from a hood scoop while driving highway speeds. What you will get though is outside air coming into the intake, and that's better than any CAI that's crammed into a dead air space cavity. Plus, air in motion does give a cooling effect. If you don't believe that, stick your head out the window for a while while you're driving and see if it chills your face.
thanks for the suggestion, now how do i clean dead dragonflies off of my glasses?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

someone actually tried a real big scoop before that was made of sheet metal it came straight off the tb and opened up to take up the entire blck oval where the fog lights r. it was pretty insane dont know how well it worked but they had to position the radiator and all different

Old 06-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
thanks for the suggestion, now how do i clean dead dragonflies off of my glasses?
Bwaahaahaaa, funny guy!!! Whoops, I should have also said not to smile.
Sorry, but I think your face is gonna stay that way.

Name:  bugs_in_teeth.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  7.8 KB

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-26-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

depends on how the hood scoop is hook up. it could help at low speed on some rides because most have a complete stock intake system, that include under the hood. which incoming air is sitting in the HOT engine compartment. which not only restrict air flow, it also has your incoming air bake in the hot engine compartment.
where the air scoop, if hook up right is not restrictive to incoming air flow plus the air has very little time from hood to engine to bake. cooler air charge in return

Old 06-26-2009, 04:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
air in motion does give a cooling effect. If you don't believe that, stick your head out the window for a while while you're driving and see if it chills your face.
when i was in state of CALF/AZ/TX during the summer. it felt like hot hair drier more than chilling my face

Old 06-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by rancheronut
when i was in state of CALF/AZ/TX during the summer. it felt like hot hair drier more than chilling my face
Probably due to the lack of humidity, unlike here in the Midwest.
Most everybody knows you can cook a hamburger in AZ just by holding it in the air!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear member

You guys must save a fortune by cooking outside then! Haha up here in Canada what you bring outside is colder than whats in your deep freezer. This winter our lowest was -55 C (-67F) without the windchill.

As for ram air, there's been a bunch of tests and videos and dudes checking this out, all that ram air does is take cooler air than the air in your engine compartment. It doesn't actually have the capability to ram air in. Maximum gain of maybe 2-3 horsepower.

Quick Reply: random discussion - hood scoop adding HP?