Question About Rear Tires & Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Question About Rear Tires & Suspension Question

I had my rear springs replaced a month ago and my uncle who changed them told me I also need "beefier" shocks. The ones I have now are some cheap crap from Autozone. You can tell they're junk every time you hit a bump. After doing research, I found these that I am interested in.

Bilstein 24-024075 Monotube Shock Absorber | AJUSA.com

I read good things about Bilstein. But, my question is, will those still give me stock height? I have stock height springs and I don't want it lowered. (Especially where I live. I scrape bad enough as it is.)

As for the tire question. I'm looking into getting a set of rear tires, and after looking at other people's Camaros in the "post your ride" thread, I really like how some have the wide tires, where it comes out by the fender. Right now I have regular stock tires on stock rims. 16" I believe, right? Will my stock rims be able to fit the wide tires? Or should I just go to my local tire shop and get the same ones I have now and get wheel spacers? If wide tires will fit on my rims, I plan on ordering them online. No one around here sell the wide ones I see on others' in that thread.

If they will fit, what are some good reasonable priced wide tires? Links will be appreciated or just the name and I can search Google.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, do I have to get the same style for the front tires? Cause the ones I have now are still in good shape. Just want that wide look in the rear.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

The bilsteins are the best performing "budget" shocks. Yes they are stock ride height shocks. Go to Sam Strano's website he has the SLP valved Bilstein's for less than $400 I believe.

I would stick with the same tires all around. The stock rims are 16''. I believe the biggest tire you can get on there is 245/50/r16. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. If your car is your daily driver remember wider tires are terrible in snow. Also wide front tires tend to follow and dips/angles in the road.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Droid

Shocks do not change ride height, springs do.
Tires that stick out the side of the fender will get chewed up by the fenders when hitting bumps, unless you make the opening on your fenders larger.
For best results the thread width should be within 1" of the rim width. Too wide a tire will bow out in the center, and too narrow a tire will bow in in the center. Either case will cause poor traction, and tire wear. Wheel spacers are a last resort thing, see how the wider tires fit before using them. The proper way is to get wider rims and wider tires.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I didn't think shocks changed the height, but I wasn't 100% sure. I'll get the ones I posted since they are reasonably priced and I'll just go ahead and get the same tires then.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:16 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes you can go wider on the back but you will not be able to rotate the tires. the off set on the wheel will deside where the tire is. you can go out so long as you stay inside the fender at the top. i have my fenders rolled to make sure there is no contact on corners. 245s will fit great all around and fit your stock wheels. i have 245s on front and use 245s all around in winter.
these are 315s on 11in wheels, i believe you need at least 10.5 wheel for them.
Name:  P1260002-1.jpg
Views: 2275
Size:  29.2 KB

this is before i centered the rearend using adjustable panhard bar

Name:  P1120010.jpg
Views: 2203
Size:  133.2 KB

Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I got 315's in back too on 17x11 zr1 replicas. I got a set of 4 wheels 17x9.5 in front 17x11 in back with sumitomo or whatever tires brand new for 1k online the tires are not the best but they work ok. I put drag radials on when I really wanna have some fun

Old 05-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Overdrive Member

I would replace all four shocks at the same time. Might want to look into some V8 OEM used springs -- V6 springs are crap, IMHO.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 PM

How do V8 springs change the ride compared to V6 springs?

Old 05-20-2012, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Your car wouldn't sit right, the spring rates are different to account for the extra weight of the heavier V8. As far as ride quality I'm not sure

Quick Reply: Question About Rear Tires & Suspension Question