Pulling the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director
Default Pulling the tranny

So, finally getting around to pulling the transmission to replace the clutch. Just been to busy with work lately to have a chance.

Anyways, a few questions. How hard is it to bleed out the clutch line? Would it be better done by a shop?

The bellhousing and the gearbox can be seperated under the car, right?

Rear main seal, is it a single piece? While under there I found a few drops of oil. Might as well do it while I am in there. Any other tricks or tips from people who have pulled these? I've done plenty of clutchs before, but almost exclusively on big diesel trucks. Only done one car clutch that and that was a honda civic hatchback nightmare!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Overdrive Member

as far as I can tell the tranny will come off the bellhousing under the car with no problems. You do run into a problem tho with the bellhousing's top bolts. On a 3.8 like your sig says (still dont know how that is a 35 anaversary) you may be able to reach the top bolts from above. As for the bleeding you should be able to do this with the tranny off with no problems, It is kinda like bleeding the brakes but usually you dont have to pump the petal, gravity will assist you here. Just dont let the reservoir run empty. Rear main seal on a 3.8 is one piece, but I dont know if you will have to drop the pan to get to it. Hope this helps

Massey

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM
ROTM Director

@ massey. thanks for the info. i just know from past experiences that when you can split the tranny, those top bellhousing bolts come out way easier.

hmm, all i know is that it is badged as a 35th anniversary and i have seen a few other 02 V6's tagged as 35th's.

if that rear main being a single piece is anything like my trucks, then i should be good without having to drop the pan.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit TD
hmm, all i know is that it is badged as a 35th anniversary and i have seen a few other 02 V6's tagged as 35th's.
Must have been a dealer added badging to add a few extra $$$. All official 35th Anniversary cars looked like the pic below. Those are the only Official ones. Yea I have seen dealers do things like that just to make people think they are getting something that they are not getting.

Attached Thumbnails Pulling the tranny-1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2010, 02:19 AM
ROTM Director

yes, while as this is my first experience with 4th gens, i am going to go with your knowledge. wouldn't surprise me that dealers would do that. seen it before.

anyways, tranny pulled after two hours. a few things:

the tranny can't be split under the car. it must be pulled as a complete unit. the bellhousing is held onto the gear box by the throwout/cylinder unit.

these trannies use DexronIII???? what? all my trucks use special GL5 that runs $30+ a liter. try five liters of that for your oil change!

overall, i would way rather pull a standard transmission from a camaro than a truck! overall it was a lot easier than i thought!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Overdrive Member

I'm not sure on the fluid used in the T5 Tranny. Call the dealer or your local auto part store and you should be able to find out. Your owner's manual may also tell you or at least give you the GM part number for the fluid.

Massey

Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 AM
ROTM Director

yea, the fluid is definitely ATF when it came out.

on the side of the tranny it has a tag saying use Dexron III

Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Overdrive Member

Nice of them to put that tag there for you. You could use Dex VI in its place if you wanted to go synthetic. Dex VI is backwards compatable with Dex III.

Massey

Old 06-04-2010, 09:46 AM
ROTM Director

Good to know. might do that, depends on cost. i want to sell this one, so i don't want to put un-needed cash into it.

still trying to decide about the clutch. overall, it's not in bad shape. might just see about getting the plates turned.

the bearing itself is definitely worn. when turning by hand, you can hear and feel it grinding.
$280 for the bearing assembly
or
$400 for a complete clutch and bearing assembly.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Overdrive Member

If you get the complete clutch assy. you may not get the slave cyl. just the bearing to pop on the end. The throwout bearing assy. comes with the slave and bearing. I guess it just depends on what you really need.

Massey

Quick Reply: Pulling the tranny