pulled over

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by gofastturnleft70
i havent had my camaro long use to have one back in 2003 and that was the last time i was pulled over till last night in a camaro i think its bs i can roll threw town in my dodge truck and be going 20mph over the speed limit and the cops will wave at u every time.they got me last night for a headlight out and did not warn me wrote me up on it like i said havent been pulled over in almost 9 years he also said i had a summons out but was not arrestable went to find out what it was and its on my dad he has the same name i do so i think the cop would have warned me but thought since my life is messed up he would add to it even though it aint me what does everyone else think.
Name:  coolstorybroterminator.gif
Views: 12
Size:  1,006.9 KB

Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have not been pulled over in a Camaro since 1984. I did pop a hose off in my 67 back in 1998 and pulled off the road, cop pulled in behind me, complemented my car and offered me a ride to the station up the street to get some water.
All told I have put 1/4 million miles on Camaros in the last 20 years and most of that was at 75 MPH. I guess there are some cops that target younger guys but I have not had any issues.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear member

That does suck man. If it was me, I'd tell the officer I have a spare bulb in my glove compartment if he wanted me to fix it right away.

I've been pulled over three times in mine over almost five years, and every time it was for not having a front license plate.

First was a town policeman, second a county sheriff, then a state trooper. The first two told me to fix it and gave me a warning. The trooper was going to write me a ticket, but I think because I was cool and polite he gave me two weeks to mount it and meet him at his post or I'd get a ticket in the mail. So I opted for a five dollar bracket at Autozone instead of a $160 ticket.

I see cars all over without front plates too, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was a special target due to driving a Camaro.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A burned out headlight is not a moving violation, like speeding, or blowing a stop light is. And it goes on your record, or not, differently. It's considered an equipment compliance issue, the same as a burned out tail light, missing license plate, expired registration, etc. Generally, if you take a picture of your car with that issue fixed, and take it to court with you, telling the judge you didn't know the light was out, the ticket will probably get tossed out. Depending on the judge, he may even scold the cop for wasting his time by not issuing you a warning first.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
A burned out headlight is not a moving violation, like speeding, or blowing a stop light is. And it goes on your record, or not, differently. It's considered an equipment compliance issue, the same as a burned out tail light, missing license plate, expired registration, etc. Generally, if you take a picture of your car with that issue fixed, and take it to court with you, telling the judge you didn't know the light was out, the ticket will probably get tossed out. Depending on the judge, he may even scold the cop for wasting his time by not issuing you a warning first.
I agree completely. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for a burnt out headlight. They probably will toss it out.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thats what i also think to. this was also in a town i dont live in i just so happened to take the wife and son out to eat to a new place instead of the same old town its a 95 camaro that has the sqare bulbs i explained to him that the light was working on the way because i noticed it needed adjusted because it was aiming low to the ground so long story short i think because of the summons that was out is what put the city cop in a bad attitude when he came back and told me he cant arrest me over it

Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Some of these small towns pay a lot of bills with fines like this. I remember a town in Georgia that gave a ticket to a US Senator. The Senator had them "checked out" and 28% of the towns income was from traffic tickets. Its good to be a town on interstate 95

I wish I could find a link, I read it back when police where trying to defend the whole ticket Quota on cops. (which I think is BS, give a cop a quota and what "if" no one is speeding? ) The only reason I bring it up is if you plead anything but guilty you could end up with court costs. I think most place you would be let off.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Im pretty sure in VA it is a moving violation. Maybe it depends on the state?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
^ Just another example of why government does not work.
nothin works if yr unprepared.
drive a Camaro? watch yr speed where u know there are PD...
yr country attacked? use yr govt to call out the DoD...

all the govt haters have NO alternative except their own greed.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

y r so many ppl usin lazy werdz? lazy werdz r hard 2 read n i think ur stoopid 4 usin them.

The days of quotas are long gone. BUT, there is still a competitive market for being a cop. That said, at the end of a quarter we are given our evaluations. During these avals. our logs are pulled and we get a snapshot of all the things we have done (calls for service, responces etc..) our traffic stops are pulled and scrutinized. If you are looking for a promotion you should have more stops than the other guy. These are stops... not based on tickets.... its not more tickets than the other guy, its stops. So we give more written warnings than usual. Thats how I roll at least. I will pull 15 or 20 stops in a couple hours, just to keep my numbers up... and I will write 15 or 20 warnings... the numbers are the same.

now

That is not all to say that certain departments will use them to generate income... but think about it, most departments gets the budget from the state, not from the courts (which is where the ticket money goes) and states from taxes or the feds budget.

also...

pulling over for a headlight means a few things had to happen first.
one of which is that this was probably at night - if so, can you distinguish a camaro from a sebring at night... while it is traveling... towards you... while you are traveling?

if so...

do this, at night, while paying attention to ALL THE OTHER CARS ALSO. its not easy.

Targeting cartain cars is vary hard to do at night. I can make a pretty solid guess that the cop was just fishing for a drunk as oposed to targeting a sports car. Thats why 9 out of 10 cars I pull over are for defective equipment and not speed - drunks do not speed as often as you would think.

You said it was a town you dont usually drive in, but you can drive in your town and the cops wave at you when you speed. I dont know how large your town is but if they wave, they might just recognise you.... just a guess.

So, you got pulled over in your camaro while out of town for defective equipment. The cop said you had a summons. You went to the PD and streightened it out. you got a citation for the defective headlight that you didnt know was out. (which, you will fix and have proof of it when you go to court so you wont have to pay the fine = free legal advice from a cop) I do not see the issue, other than your dad is the one messed up and you (unfortunately) have to now get your headlight fixed and loose work hours to go to court.