Project 96 RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default never thought of that

i never thought of that! well i am in washington right now wa state im not sure if it will really be an issue. i got my friend to give me a quote on the paint. to be honest i wasent aware of what goes into repainting the car. i am thinking of keeping it black with white stripes. for the interior it will be about 2500 total pulling parts panels and repainting plus doing the accents inside. I am still looking for the right seats for me. ive looked at a bunch but havent really found any i like gotta find a place to sit down in them. i gotta research the whole black interior now. any suggestions for a diff interior color?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default started to studder

well the other day when i was driving to work she started to studder / shudder while taking off and starting around 5 mph once i get past that she runs fine. there are no unusual noises from the engine and the rpm's are fine. idk whats wrong i have been told many things timing, trans needs flushing brakes are sticking. i would have noticed a smell from the brakes. oddly enought when i went for a drive around the block she stopped doing it altogether and is running smooth again. as i asked around and am getting various responses ive decided to bring her to a friends garage.. he is opening on saturday just for my can and brining in his transmission guy to give her a look. I know it needs a honest lookover. I took her to midas origonally and the guy there said i have a blown head gasket as well as a blown intake manifold gasket but when i did a compression test and pressure test all came up normal. i do know she needs new rotors and brakes as well as wires and plugs. also the 02 sensors are showing a slow response in both banks. could these be the problem? either way i finally found a good garage who will walk me through everything and is willing to show me whats wrong and how it should be. Thank god the funnie thing about the midas i went to was that the coolant on the block was fresh and there was a brand new container opened and sitting on his tool tray so .. no more midas. its kinda odd tho lol this car is putting me on a roller coaster wifee said i was acting wierd all day and all i could think of was whats wrong with my baby and how do i fix her. I have already grown to love this car more than any other i have ever had. my first sports car was a porsche 924 twin turbo. I thought i loved here but hindsight she was just fun. My camaro i love ! so saturday will let me know everything and well yea she deserves a full checkup. hopefully it wont be anything to major as i have a grand to fix her right now. is it wrong to set a budget up for your car lol. anyways hopefully after a visit to the good doctor she will be feeling better. any ideas what would cause her to studder/shudder like that and now all of a sudden stop? i checked the fluids and the transmission oil is not the brighest but not dark either a few miles on her other than that i cant figure it out. haynes manuel says consult a professional (definetly not me) has anyone every had a problem like this before?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There are many things that can cause what you described. Infact plugs and wires would be on my list. Any check engine light? A transmission issue should feel completely different then a engine stumble. Any mechanic should be able to tell you if its tranny or engine.

A few facts:
Its not your timing, It could be a cam sensor (retaled to timing) But that should set a code.

Brake sticking would not cause this. When your car is running right put a little pressure on the brake, thats what brakes sticking feels like.

Compression test may or may not find a blown head gaskets. Infact the head gasket must be pretty bad to show up on a compression test. Yor can borrow the coolant pressure tester from autozone and pressure test the coolant system. That would let you know if you have a head/intake issue. Just a FYI intake gaskets are very common issues on these cars, to the point ther was a class action law suit against GM. GM lost.

Opinion:
Its hard to decribe feel in a post but a EGR valve can cause what you described, So could a PVC valve and another real comon one is the MAP sensor.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default sensors

all these sensors would cause a code correct i know i alreay have the code service engine light from the o2 sensor will it record the new ones if there are any ?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by reaper2702
all these sensors would cause a code correct i know i alreay have the code service engine light from the o2 sensor will it record the new ones if there are any ?
No The Map sensor will not set a light depending on what is the problem also if the EGR valve a mechincal problem it my not set a code. O2 sensor codes can be tuff because it could just be the O2 sensor or it could be the system can not adjust enough to make the O2 sensor read right.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default time to start working again

ok ive been away awhile and i finally get to start working on my 96 rs convertible again. i am gettin the paint / bodywork done in about 2 weeks going all black. im getting the job done for about 2500 from a friend who works in a body shop. TY lee i appreciate it, also getting new wheels this weekend
http://www.wheelrack.com/wheels/Whee...Z2707047C4273C

im also having small engine probs but im looking into a rebuild.

anyone have any experience with pirelli tires due to the fact i can only get the wheels i like in 20in instead of the 18's i wanted they will be very low profile. it rains alot here in WA and im trying to research what would be best for a weekend driver long trips pick a direction and go type of driving. ive been told pireli is the best but im not sure. Also has anyone else had a prob with the headlight being very dim? not sure what to put in to replace them. I dont wanna break any laws but i like the white clean look.

Does anyone in washington around the fort lewis area know anybody who does interior work. im looking to replace the seats and carpet and cant find anyone with a reasonable price. been looking online and it seems about 700 for seats not sure on carpet but i want it looking like new

Green Arrow you have inspired me. I LOVE how ur camaro looks its amazing.

also i read the thread about replacing the convertible cover. 1 question how long does it take? in WA it rains constantly and im wondering if i should put it into the autocraft shop first then do it rather than possible a few hours outside.

thanks again folks ill have pics up as soon as it begins being painted.