Problems with Getting a Title

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Problems with Getting a Title

Ive had my '94 Camaro for around 2 weeks now and it still has not title for it. The guy i bought it off of said that he had the VIN checked and he had said that the title was clean. I went to the DMV thats here in the town where im from and handed them the stack of papers that i had gotten for the car that has all the repo info and all and said "This car is stolen, thats the only logical explination for not having a title."

The car was wrecked when it was sold from the credit union place and aparently didnt have a title for it or didnt give it out when it was sold. I t was fixed and sold.

How hard would it be to get a title, any shortcuts you know of? I heard that i could take it to GA and get plates and then get a title from there. You guys think it is a stolen car?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like dmv was blowing you off. they must have a record of who the last titled owner was. if you have the name and address of the repo office give them a call and see what they have to say. also if you have any friends with badges ask them for ideas and if they will run the numbers on the car. if not go down the local cop shop explain your situation and ask them for ideas and to run the numbers. if it is stolden the last thing u want to do is try to hide it or lie.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Doing the Georgia registration/bill of sale trick works for older cars, yours is too new.
I gotta ask, why did you hand over money for a car without having title in hand?
Any chance that's the same thing that happened to the guy you bought it from? And he got rid of the car since he couldn't get the title? Could be. In your stack of papers, do you have any onfo on the insurance company that was involved. If the car was wrecked, I presume it was "totaled" by the insurance company. They would be the last ones to have possession of the title, unless it was sold at auction. Whoever had the title last, was "legal" owner of the car, and the title should have followed with the car. Something sounds fishy!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The numbers were run and its a clean car. It couldnt have been totaled because i doubt a guy who replaced the whole front end would have sold it for so cheap.

The guy who got it repoed from cant have the title because he put it up when he took out the loan on the car (i think). But i do have all the info on that guy and the car. His name, address, number, DOB, SSN and then i also have the VIN of the car, plate number, Title certificate number, and the license verification number.

Got to looking and found a page titled "Certification of Sale Under Special Condition". down by the bottom of that page it says "A tracferred certificate of title from the former owner could not possibly be filed because : "Repossession"

On another page it says "If sales price is lower than the avarage please indicate the reason for the low price: "Body damage - Not running"

Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So, did you buy the car from the "repo man?"
Since it was repoed, that means that the owner defaulted on the loan. It would also mean that the credit union you mentioned would have been the ones holding onto the title at that time.
I would call them and find out where the title went.
I've been through this kind of mess before, and it took me a year to finally get my hands on the title.
I learned the hard way that unless buying from a dealer, if you don't show me the title...I'm not showing you the money.
It doesn't matter how much of a "good deal" the car is, you could get burned!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-16-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:54 AM

I dont know how it is where you live but here in Ohio you would have to go to the clerk of courts and file with the clerk to get a title to a car that you dont know who holds the title. They run a check on it and then you go before a judge and he releases the vehicle to you and then you take the paperwork to the BMV for a new title. I dont know all the steps but that is the short version.