problem with 97 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default problem with 97 camaro

i know i posed this problem before, i just went and bought another MAF and still the same problem. when I bought the MAF it has a plestic cap at the tip that broke off while installing the new MAF, the metal pins were not effected everhowever I kept the lil platic capp part.
This is really starting to get me, cause still cant accel more then 3k with having to shift due to the stumbleing more the 3k rpm. it happens in all gears then tranny has a new clutch does not seem seem like anything with the tranny.

im lost and i love this dam car. something has to be the problem, also after installedin the new MAF i disconnected the neg terminal for 30 secs and it still did not clear the codes.

Last edited by greenarrow; 11-23-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: FFF!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

oh and btw if i put the pedal to the floor it trumbles very hard and chokes up bad. could the TB need to be cleaned or bad fuel pump

Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok now if you had kept this in one thread i could look back and see what codes your getting. sooo,,, what codes are you getting? do you have cats and if so how old are they? how old is the 02 sensors? have you tested the fuel pressure? have you tested the fuel pressure regulator? have you pulled the plugs to see if there fouling from a rich condition? what tests have you done? what parts have you replaced? how did this start happening? lol. need more info

Last edited by craby; 11-22-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

its a 97 v6 3.8, i went and looked at the car nothing appeared to be wrong it great idle and not smoking fluids looked good, 10 minutes after i drove off, the check engine light came on and car barely accelerated no matter what gear i was in, i took it to autozone and they ran a scan, came back as a MAF and misfires. I just replaced the maf with a new one and still the same problem. even in neutral the car will still not pass 3k or it will stumble hard. have not check fuel pressure or regulater. Drive smooth at low rpm's just went it gets near 3k it acts up

btw the plugs were already replaced, i instlled the $2.99 NGK's

Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

maybe a plugged cat but ya you should have stayed in the same thread

if i recall correctly you never posted what the actual code numbers were theres like 800 diff codes out there and prob 5 that have to do with the maf alone and 13 different misfire codes

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 11-22-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry about making a new tread, lady at auto just said MAF and multiple misfires. i could always go back and get the codes for you guys if that helps

Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

deff you should always get the actual codes that way we know whats going on

and if you didnt notice theres a complete list of OBDII codes i found in the stickies

Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Droid

We need all the trouble code numbers, can't always trust the verbiage on the scanner.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

ok i went back to autozone and retieved the codes here

TC: P0147
Heater condition (heated oxygen sensor bank sensor #3)
TC: P0102
Man. absolute pressure)/BARO or MAF/VAF(van air flow)
TC: P0300
misfires

I just talked to a shop and they said to start off by changing plugs and wire set, I already changed the plugs and i guess ill change the wire sets and return with the results

Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Well the O2 sensor, can cause some stumbling if it is bad. Yes even if the o2 heater is bad the sensor cannot get to the right temp it cannot accuratly tell the proper air fuel mix. There are 3 sensors that handle the airflow into the engine. First and most obvious is the MAF, it is also the one that usually fails most often. The next is the Air Charge Temp (ACT) sensor. That tells the computer the temp of the intake air so it can make metering adjustments to the air fuel ratio. THe last and usually most forgotten is the MAP sensor. This detects altitude and barometric pressure. again for air fuel metering. The code listed could be the MAP sensor. And yes it could cause stumbling. Also there should be a vacuum line going into the MAP, if that line is disconnected the sensor will not read properly. Also a vacuum leak can cause the stumbling. Random misfires can be alot of things, I would look into the stumbling first fix that and you may just fix the misfires.

Massey

Quick Reply: problem with 97 camaro