Prices of some upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Ive heard of the system before, not as much as flowmasters and magnaflows, but the shop owner is a friend of my dads, and he told me that they sound very good on a v6, he likes them a lot better then flowmasters on a v6. Im going to stop by his shop this week and he is going to show me how it sounds on his v6.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Search the net there are sound bits out there for almost every combo.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 PM

getting back to the CAI's, whats the performance gains (if any) from the stock intake to the SLP and/or K&N?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
4th Gear Member

As far as the exhaust goes (old question), the Flowmasters and Magnaflows give you about the same amount of HP. Whoever said 30 hp with a high flow cat, you're an idiot. You'll get about 10 RWHP with both systems.

CAIs... Of course there's a gain Gains dependant on the year of your car and engine.

93-95 3.4L will net about 6 hp

95-97 3.8L will get about 7-8 hp

98s will get around 4

99+ will get 3 ish

These are RWHP numbers. The 98-02 cars have excellent intake designs. A taller lid on those with the Free air mod is actually better than most aftermarket CAIs (they'll get you about 8 RWHP) due to the straight to the TB design.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Overdrive Member

I went with the Borla, the advantage is the sound is adjustable with different restrictor plates on the passenger side between the flanges:

Last I checked, Autoanything.com had the best price (that's where I got mine), either wait for their 15% sale, or use a Bing Cashback discount...

Originally Posted by MaxTheKiing
Ah i understand what you are getting at. Is there anything else i could consider besides Magnaflows or Flowmasters?

Old 05-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Easy isn't the full story, first my rear stock exhaust clamp bolt near the muffler snapped off despite plenty of penetrant, then I sawzalled off the clamp, and cut just before the rear axle. Next is a $&#! getting the rusted mid-pipe clamped connection out at the S-Pipe end!

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Install it yourself. A catback is very easy to install as they give you all the new hardware you need (hangars, clamps, etc). Installing my Magnaflow catback was the second thing I did to my car, after a SLP CAI, installed it myself with the help of a buddy.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Overdrive Member

I have SLP's on both my RS & SS.

Also, which which cold air intake you think i should get. the SLP or the K&N?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Call Sam Strano for your suspension/chassis questions -- he's very knowledgeable:
http://stranoparts.com

Alright, i was thinking that also.

I also have another question.

Is there a way to make the car sit lower in the front, like adjust the suspension or something (sorry if this question is completely stupid, im just wondering if its possible.)

Old 05-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Overdrive Member
Thumbs down

Wow, why don't you just wear a sign that says "I know not what I speak"?!

Flowmasters have proven ~11 RWHP increase over stock!:

"Westech's Superflow showed our V6 with the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system gained a hair over 11, horsepower (SAE-corrected) at the rear wheels and road test numbers backed that up.

Eleven horsepower and nearly two tenths and a mile-and-a-half an hour in the quarter is an outstanding improvement for just an exhaust change on a car which, in stock trim, made only 162-hp (SAE) at the wheels. Clearly, the O.E. exhaust is restrictive."

http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part1.htm

Please do a little research first before making statement that you represent as if they were fact!

Originally Posted by luciora
Yes actually there is, I'll have to find the write up for you. Flowmasters don't really give you anything performance wise, they're more just for sound. Magnaflows on the other hand add around 10-15hp ( I've also heard up to 30hp occurring with a high flow cat ).

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-27-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Overdrive Member

I don't have RWHP numbers, but for my '02 3.8L I noticed two significant improvements when adding at separate times the SLP CAI and Whisper Lid (thereby also removing air-intake baffle claptrap) with oiled-filter.

Originally Posted by evilkal
As far as the exhaust goes (old question), the Flowmasters and Magnaflows give you about the same amount of HP. Whoever said 30 hp with a high flow cat, you're an idiot. You'll get about 10 RWHP with both systems.

CAIs... Of course there's a gain Gains dependant on the year of your car and engine.

93-95 3.4L will net about 6 hp

95-97 3.8L will get about 7-8 hp

98s will get around 4

99+ will get 3 ish

These are RWHP numbers. The 98-02 cars have excellent intake designs. A taller lid on those with the Free air mod is actually better than most aftermarket CAIs (they'll get you about 8 RWHP) due to the straight to the TB design.

Quick Reply: Prices of some upgrades?