Power Steering issues and unknown hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Power Steering issues and unknown hose

Upon pulling into my driveway last night my 2000 Camaro SS started making a terrible grinding noise. After popping the hood and taking a look around I discovered my Power Steering fluid reservoir empty and all of the fluid on the ground underneath the car. I added fluid to help track down the leak and found a faulty power steering pressure hose and replaced it. Upon doing so I attempted to flush the system out as the fluid was a rusty water kinda color and smelled burnt but I didn't do a very good job.

I need to go back to work on it this afternoon as the clamp that holds the return line hose to the reservoir broke and needs to be replaced. At the same I was hoping to completely flush the system and get good fluid in there. Any help on how to flush and then bleed the system properly would be most helpful.

Also I found a hose near the front driver side of the car that I've never seen before that I cannot find where it goes. I think it may have went to an aftermarket Air lid but I'm not sure. I've uploaded one of the pics I took of it here:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9082/fgf7.jpg

Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like a a i r pump hose. should go into the air intake. i would agree the air intake is probly aftermarket and did not have the hookup for the a i r hose. to bleed air from steering just turn wheel hard over to hard over a bunch of times. need to get the front wheels off the ground so you dont damage your tires. can make a flat spot on your tire turning wheel back and forth while not moving.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you craby for your reply.

I've seen the SLP aftermarket air lids that had a hose on the side and figured that the loose hose would probably have plugged into that. Right now it appears to have the stock air lid on it so it's just a left over hose.

Sounds like bleeding the system should be easy enough but how would I go about flushing it out? The instructions for the new high pressure hose said to disconnect the return hose and put it into a bucket and just run fluid through it until it ran clear. I ran 2 32oz bottles through it before I gave up. Is that the best way to go about it? Since the fluid that's in it looks like it got burnt I'd really like to get new clean fluid in there.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like someone put trans fluid in it. wont hurt it. after runing that much through you would think it would be to new fluid but maybe we should look at how much it holds. should be in one of the stickies.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well that didnt help any. says add till full,,,, really,,, 98-02 its sayin 1 pint, lol, i assume thats what the reservoir holds.