Power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by greenarrow
It's too late, you're already hurt my feelings.
OK, ok....post your picture instead and I'll tell you how pretty you are to make up for it.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:56 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Nope, you get no pic of me.

I tried to find a pic of the antenna and bracket installed with no luck. I'm telling you from expierence that it's not as cool as you think and it doesn't add anything to the performance of the antenna. It's meerly cosmetic and will cost you a ton of frustration because you end up replacing the GM antenna every year and the aftermarket ones every 8-10 months or sooner. It's a never ending battle from my expierence. That's why I finally just gave up when I found the hiden antenna which works just as good and is hidden. I still have my last power antenna in there, but it's all disconnected and just there to plug the hole.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I've decided to put a power antenna on. I don't have a great place to hide it and I usually listen to music off my flash drive. I will do a Youtube video on my install and post the link.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear member

for me it was quite easy. my 95 ls1 has a trans am interior harness so all i did was swap out the whole assembly and tack weld the new transam anntenna to the old antenna bracket. My tires are 18s so the factory spare wont fit anyways and since i have the wheel well plastic you can't see the antenna.
ill post a pic once i get home.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't expect to much of an issue. I'm to the understanding that the tire mount is also the antenna mount. If I need to fab a mount, that would be easy for me. I work at a machine shop.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The power antenna mounts to a bracket that attaches to the spare tire mount.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 PM
2nd Gear member

i lied no pic. there was crazy rain yesterday.
i havent read the whole thread cuz im lazy but honestly just go buy the whole assembly from someone parting out a TA. you might even convince them to cut the bracket from the inside of the fender for you.
From what i have been told you will need to run a radio wire to the antenna so it goes up and down when the radio is on or off

Old 09-12-2012, 04:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm doing the hidden antenna deal.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by thetal1
i lied no pic. there was crazy rain yesterday.
i havent read the whole thread cuz im lazy but honestly just go buy the whole assembly from someone parting out a TA. you might even convince them to cut the bracket from the inside of the fender for you.
From what i have been told you will need to run a radio wire to the antenna so it goes up and down when the radio is on or off
You don't need to cut it out, it all bolts in, very easy and fast. And you need a remote wire to run to the antenna. If you running an aftermarket head unit (HU) then they usually come with a designated power antenna remote wire. If you're using the stock HU you can use the keyed on power wire and tap into that for a remote wire. The antenna will stay up all th time you have keyed power no matter what you're listening to on the stereo, ie.. CD, radio, input device.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I've switched out my stereo already. I got tired of AM/FM/Cassette.

Quick Reply: Power antenna