is it possible to swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Default is it possible to swap?

i got an 87 cady eldorado with a 4.1L v8 and i was wondering if i could swap out my v6 for this v8 engine?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: is it possible to swap?

I would say this

A: yes, as long as it would physically fit, then any engine can be made to work in a car. it just requires time and lots of money.

B: Why would you want to do that? Didn't that motor make under 150HP and just as bad torque numbers?

If the question is, hey, my sixer is having issues, it needs to be rebuilt blah blah, then please ask that.

If it's.....hey, i want a V8 ( no pun intended), then sell the sixer and buy a different car

Old 01-08-2009, 08:30 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

lol...listen to the new guy trying to regulate.

to the OP...i'd say yes its possible...but definitely not worth it. along with changing the engine, you would have to change the tranny as well, new wiring harness, computer, etc...it would end up costing you a lot more in the end. if you want a v8 in your car, i'd look into a small block 350 and drop it in. yes you will have to change just as much stuff, but they are cheaper parts and probably an easier fit.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 AM
4th Gear Member

These guys are right,the Cad 4.1 is a turd anyway.
I had one in an '84 Eldo,it got great gas mileage but couldn't get out of it's own way.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whammer3024

to the OP...i'd say yes its possible...but definitely not worth it. along with changing the engine, you would have to change the tranny as well, new wiring harness, computer, etc...it would end up costing you a lot more in the end. if you want a v8 in your car, i'd look into a small block 350 and drop it in. yes you will have to change just as much stuff, but they are cheaper parts and probably an easier fit.
yep, new to this forum, new to chevy, not new to cars (damn I'm old).

Hey, you have to use humor in your life or you'll go ballistic. I guess i was not as eloquent as Y2K, he cut right to the chase

Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Ninja Administrator

TIG is layin down da LAW!
no, that was a great response. the v6-v8 swap is usually best attempted if you have the v6 car and a mostly complete v8 donor car. ie, buy a peice of crap or wrecked z and go from there. we get so many 16 year olds asking this question on here that we typically just default to "dont do it".

Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

Hey, you have to use humor in your life or you'll go ballistic. I guess i was not as eloquent as Y2K, he cut right to the chase
i put lol...laugh out loud...that's showing humor. it was funny is all i'm saying

Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

i put lol...laugh out loud...that's showing humor. it was funny is all i'm saying
Damn...I'm not THAT old......... I know you were joking around. But, you have to admit, Y2K put it better than i did. he was right to the point calling it "a turd"

Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Ninja Administrator

u kids stop fighting or SO HELP ME I WILL PULL THIS THING OVER!

TIG, stop poking ur sister......

Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Way to go TIG. I think you are going to fit in perfect over here.

Quick Reply: is it possible to swap?