Possible Ignition Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Default Possible Ignition Problem???

Hello everyone,

My 1997 Camaro RS (Auto) mysteriously decided not to start anymore. I drove to campus and parked in the parking structure, got out of my car and locked the vehicle through the factory alarm (remote, fob).
I was done with school about 3 hours later and was going to give my GF a ride home. I unlocked the car with the factory remote, turned the key and nothing would happen. There was no clicking or anything. I thought I had a dead battery and had someone try to jump my car and the problem still persisted. My car has a good (charged) battery and does not start. I don't hear any cranking or anything.
I remember that when you turn the key to the position right before you start your vehicle, all of the gauges should light up and you should hear a sound if your door is open, but my car doesn't do that. None of the gauges light up and not even the miles show up on the dash. The problem is really bizarre and it has never happened in the past.
I have a feeling that my car doesn't recognize the key (with factory chip) to my vehicle. It seems to be acting the way it should if someone were trying to steal my vehicle but that's not the case as I cannot steal my own vehicle. Does anyone know a way to fix this without having to spend a ton of money? Is there a way to re-program the key without going to the dealer? What happens if I remove the factory alarm?

I had the vehicle towed to my apartment as it was past 6 pm and couldn't take it to the shop. I disconnected the battery this morning in an attempt to let the computer reset itself (don't know if it helps at all).

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 PM
4th Gear Member

It sounds like the security system. If you have an ohm meter, you can ohm out the chip on the key to make sure it is good. If you don't, the dealership should be able to test it. Take your registration with you or they will not even talk to you. Could be bad key, or worse. Take a look at this
http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

try cleaning the **** on the key and spaying some electrical cleaner in the key hole. let it dry and try. check your fuses. not sure on the 97 but the 93s have a ignition fuse.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will have to get an ohm meter from my brother and will check back in a few days.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Droid

If the VATS system is having problems the Security light should be on. You may also want to check the several fusible links, they can cause the car to go totally dead.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:46 PM
4th Gear Member

if it were a Z, I'd say ignition switch but I don't know about the sixers; anyone???

My Z did the same thing which is common as they get old and the ignition switch cured it. You would turn the key and get nothing, not even the fuel pump.