Possible first time owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Default Possible first time owner

Let me first say that I am not a Chevy fan or Ford fan, just a muscle car fan.

I currently have this vehicle:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5164626258.html

I am looking to purchase this vehicle so that I no longer have a car payment:

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, $9,900 - Cars.com

What could I foresee as being the big differences in the SS vs what I have now?

I truly respect all muscle cars and value your opinions as you already own these vehicles.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the SS says it has a racing cam and custom exhaust. No idea if it's been tuned though, least I didn't see it on there. The ls1's run strong anyways so I imagine it's got a good amount of power. If you just don't want a car payment and still want something fast I'd go for it. If you come out way on top you could put a bit more money back into the camaro. First thing I'd do is get those tail pipes lined up right lol, that'd drive me nuts. Difference between power, I honestly don't know if you'd notice that much, same with handling. You'll get a few quirks I imagine with the ss just cause of age. If you can, take it for a test drive. You might hit youtube up and check out some videos of some 01 ss's.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 PM

Thank you for your reply. My issue is that I am in Arizona and the car is in Texas so a test drive is out. But I should try and find an SS that I can at least test drive to get an idea.

Overall I wonder how far technology has come in the past decade and would I notice a big difference in the driving and handling from that time period versus now? If you look at the link from my car, I have suspension and brake mods so I really look for handling and braking over top speed.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:23 AM

The gentleman I was waiting on just told me he sold his car and that he can buy mine. So I need to decide if I want to sell my 2014 and buy this SS and have no car payment. Your thoughts?

Also for this Camaro what should I be asking as in price? What do you feel it is worth?

Last edited by Smoove7; 08-31-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for that kind of money for the camaro you can do better. being this one is built i would suspect its been run hard. look for a 01-02, 6 sp manual trans with ls1. prefer the 02 but cost for gains might not be worth it. not that tough to add the parts. do some more looking on different sites. the ride on these is good and they drive quite well for how old they are. upgrades in suspension can make a big difference.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:52 AM
4th Gear Member

As craby suggests, you wouldn't want the SS listed - ran hard - camshaft changed.
Plus alot of the SLP items are gone from this one.
Typically, SS's run very well. Any aftermarket camshaft change and a PCM reprogram is needed. Stick with stock configuration and as said, 6-spd.

On another note of SS's, they come with 3.42:1 rear ratio, GM's answer to performance gearing. Also, skip-shift meaning in essence of MPG's, light throttle and shift to second gear soon, maybe 5 MPH. As I said, in favor of MPG. Skip-shift replacement plug-ins can be bought and don't plug it into the reverse lock-out solenoid as you will need two hands to get reverse,

SS's were modified by SLP (Street Legal Performance) , Toms river, NJ.
They had basic alteration - fiberglas hood with scoop, 17 inch 10-spoke brushed alum wheels, 4-post rear spoiler.
The next step up has the above with chrome wheels, AND a SLP sticker on the pass door showing SLP's mods, including real SS floor mats, plague, rear deck mat, 3 inch 304SS exhaust, Hurst short throw stick.

See my album and look at Rita (white one).
Black SS (basic) is Elvira and I gave her to my daughter.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 AM

This is great info, thank you alot. I have narrowed down to these:

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, $13,900 - Cars.com

2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS, $13,800 - Cars.com

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, $12,995 - Cars.com

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, $10,995 - Cars.com

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, $9,950 - Cars.com

It is so tough to buy online, unfortunately not many of these vehicles around this area. Thoughts on my 5 choices? Thanks to all of you for your help, I cannot wait to join the SS family.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Out of the five chosen, I'd go with this one
2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, $12,995 - Cars.com

Have the owner(s) send you picture of the GM RPO sticker, look for GU6 (3.42), WU8(SS Appearance Pkg), Y2Y(Dual sticker) and the SLP sticker on pass door.

Be sure to get the security code for the radio. If battery power is lost and no code, trip to a GM dealer for code - do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Usually, its a separate radio operators manual with Owner's Manual.

Ask for front plate bracket if your state requires a front plate.
Stay away from K&N filter.
BMR front strut bar as shown on one of them is not a bad expense- low height model shown.

This choice is almost acceptable, a lot more than the other ones
First one has no SS hood, others have five spoke wheels,
Your choice - Good Luck

Oh, welcome to the Club

Old 08-31-2015, 09:40 AM

Thank you. I am going to the bank today with the gentleman to sell my car so it will be a couple of days before I have the cash. If anyone else has thoughts feel free to let me know before I purchase.

For that vehicle is 12,995 a fair price? I tried edmunds but they done have an SS package. KBB shows an SS package but the worth is about 9500 dollars. Is this car worth more due to being an SS? More of a rare car that you dont find every day in this condition? I am wondering what price is acceptable?

Here is the sticker for the car Everett mentioned:
Name:  RBC9L6u.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  503 Bytes
Name:  UH1CVuw.jpg
Views: 7
Name:  dW4W5nt.jpg
Views: 7

Last edited by Smoove7; 08-31-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:29 AM
4th Gear Member

This one is my choice because it is closer to a SS than the others.
She is at an independent used dealer - good luck in negotiations.
SS's are out there, look thoroughly.
SS is the performance and appearance option
I bought her April 2014 with 9800 miles - she is brand new.

Quick Reply: Possible first time owner