popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Default popping noise

Hey everyone,
To update you on my situation I heard 3 different popping noises in my front end. One really loud one, then another loud one followed by a smaller pop. I took it to a shop and they said I needed a new tie rod and a new wheel bearing and a upper and lower control w/new bushings. He also scammed me on a new water pump.

I had him do my upper and lower control arms w/bushings. This took care of the really loud pop.

Today I bought a tie rod and installed it and it took care of the pop in the middle. But now I still have a smaller pop whenever I reverse or turn out of my driveway.

I'm stuck what could this be, please help?!!

Thanks Luke

Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sometimes them noises are hard to find. if you have a two piece driveshaft it can make some noise. the rear control arm bushings can do it, torque bar bushing and transmission mount can do it, shock going to pieces. i would look at the control arm bushings first. you can get some good looking aftermarket lca's that are easy to install. on the other side the jack is also known to make some noise if not tightened down correctly.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

fyi youll do good getting help here, no need to post more than once with an issue. i deleted your other post for ya. welcome to the forum. enjoy.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

When you reverse you hear a pop or a clunk?

Is it when you switch to reverse, or as you reverse?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 PM

A heads up too, all parts on my car are stock their 12 yrs old so a front end rebuild is in desperate need.

I had the upper and lower control arms replaced on the passengers side. He said the drivers side is fine with the control arms but needs a new wheel bearing and a tie rod. I put the tie rod on yesterday and I still hear a pop noise.

Today I turned into quiktrip to get some air in my tire and I slowly cut it right and POP! Then if I back into a parking spot I can hear a knock or a pop. The guy at the shop said everything else is fine but I don't really trust mechanics.

This noise is really annoying and I would love for it to be fixed if ya'll have anymore ideas let me know.

Its a 2000 v6 camaro 3.8 RS with black 18 inch Z06 rims. I need an alignment really bad too but they said I have to fix the wheel bearing before they can touch it.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wheel hub is easy, if you can do a brake job you can change the wheel hub. you change the whole thing, hub and all. once the brakes are outa the way its four bolts a wheel sensor wire and its off. did you replace both tie rod ends? be a good idea. just so you know its the lower ball joints that go in these. the upper lasts a long time cause there isnt alot of pressure on it. can you tell where the noise is coming from, front or back?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM

Its coming from the front and I think its coming from the right side (passenger side)from inside the car you can only tell its the front but I had my girlfriend turn my wheels back and forth and I could hear a click on the passenger side. I didn't replace the tie rod on this side but I was getting ready too. I will do this tomorrow and see if that helps if not I'm gonna take it back to the shop and have them take another look.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

outer tie rod ends are known for a short life time in these cars.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:19 PM

I just replaced my outer tie rod on the passenger side. I start up my car and put it in reverse and start rolling back and hear a slight pop. I cut my wheel to the right to get out m=of my driveway so I don't scrap and POP! 12 dollars and 25 mins later I still have that damn pop noise and its really starting to **** me off. I'm gonna take it back to the shop where they put on the control arms

Old 03-14-2012, 03:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did they do the lower ball joint on that side, ball joints and bushings are the things i make a shop do, lol, not a fun job.

Quick Reply: popping noise