Please help me ID this rattle (Videos included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i use those on my impact switching between the 2 isnt too bad and when you turn wrenches for a living you learn quickly how to not turn wrenches lol

this is the next one im getting just a few more paychecks. the one i have now is a makita its still nice, strong but the stupid battery falls out all the time. i know i can replace the batterys cheaper but its only 14.4V where is the bosch is 18V should last a little longer (plus its the same battery as my drill, always a plus)
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...567&ci_gpa=pla

Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

That's pretty nice.

Sometimes I wish I had electric tools instead of the air tools... but I'm already invested in air. The loud compressor in my garage does get old, though. Also I think the neighbors would like me a little better if I didn't have air tools, haha. ZIPP ZIPPP seems to be an attention getter. I used to think it sounded cool, now I think its probably just annoying my neighbors and I don't need everyone AWARE of when I'm working on the car in my garage.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya i hear ya i never use the air the sound is very annoying to me plus i really hate wires and hoses always getting caught on something or coming undone (although the air lines dont just come apart) i still pull out the air impact to get the stubborn bolts like a crank bolt or hub nut also it makes taking the tires off easy but thats pretty much it.

anyways the car looks like its coming along good, just think a couple broken bolts has turned out to be a huge project... but it will be worth it.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Back together:
Name:  pjC17l.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  58.3 KB

Firing it up. I'm pleased to see the oil pressure now at over 40psi at idle. It used to be down near 10psi at idle.

Testing out the stall a little bit in the driveway with my foot on the brake. Blipping it with about half throttle.

When I went to fill up the overflow tank, the coolant started pouring out the bottom. Not sure what the deal is there, but the temperature was hitting nearly 110* outside so I called it a day. I'll take a closer look at the leak tomorrow.

I did drive it up the street, definitely sounds better, and that stall makes quite a difference. So far I'm pretty happy with it. Lots of work, though.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

..oh and for anyone who is curious... I used 4 of these to connect my trans cooling lines
JEGS Performance Products 51995 JEGS Direct Fit Aluminum Radiators

I considered doing a braided line setup but didn't want to spend the money. With those 4 adapters, I was able to run 3/8 hose straight from the trans, to the radiator, and my derale cooler.

At the trans (hard to see), zip tied the lines to the dipstick:
Name:  dji23l.jpg
Size:  42.8 KB

Clearing the exhaust, zip tied the lines to the starter:
Name:  8eTDel.jpg
Size:  47.9 KB

Upper radiator (to the right):
Name:  PUrwpl.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  48.8 KB

Lower radiator:
Name:  5KNlTl.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  40.1 KB

Also I bypassed the oil cooler.

At the pump:
Name:  IuUHKl.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  42.4 KB

At the radiator:
Name:  BhzTGl.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  59.4 KB

Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Been driving this thing to work everyday for the past 2 weeks, everything's fine except for the torque bar mount, I should have replaced it while I had it out. Here are some videos from the day I test drove it.

Little bit of a rolling start at not-quite full throttle, let off the gas a bit when approaching redline, was still worried about breaking something. When I actually do give it full throttle, it pulls up to just above 6k and sits there for a little bit before shifting.

Cruising, moderate acceleration:

I'm happy with the converter, it locks when cruising just like the original. I love being able to hit it and get right into the power band, but let off and have it lock down to a nice low cruising RPM.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 06-19-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its slippin a tad on the shift. should invest in a vette or hp servo and so some work on the valve body to stiffen the shifts up a little.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds about right. The other night when I was pulling redline for a second or two I didn't like how it was shifting. I'll check into that a bit further, thanks.