Please help me ID this rattle (Videos included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Please help me ID this rattle (evolved, build thread)

Here are the videos:
1994 Camaro LT1 Rattle 1 of 2 - YouTube

1994 Camaro LT1 Rattle 2 of 2 - YouTube

I bought the car about 6 months ago. Since then, I've replaced the optispark. During that, I removed the flywheel/torque converter cover and jammed a screwdriver in there to keep the engine from spinning while I removed the balancer retaining bolt.

I put the cover back, and it was a bit loose, which I'm fixing today. I originally thought it was an exhaust rattle. I pulled the drivers side manifold off to replace the bolts with studs and reseal it, during which I dropped a socket and spark plug down the pipe (I know I know). In my impatience, I cut the cross pipe, pulled out what I dropped with a magnet, and patched it up with a couple of clamps and a coupler. You can see that in the 2nd video.

I'm confident my exhaust pipes aren't hitting anything. It is possible that the sound is coming from the cat, but I fear that there is a problem in the flywheel/torque converter area. I did notice a small metal sliver in the flywheel/converter cover when I removed it.

The noise you hear in the video is mild. Recently I started hearing some real banging around. It sounded like a loose fan shroud hitting a fan, but that wasn't the case here.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm thinking maybe the starter isn't pulling back properly, the catalytic converter is jacked, or there's a serious flywheel/converter issue (I hope not!).

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 05-28-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like the flexplate/flywheel is hitting the starter. next time put a pair of vice grips on the flexplate and turn till it hits. did you put the screw driver in from the side so it may have bent the flexplate?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 PM
4th Gear Member

is the flexplate wobbling or am i drunk or is it a bad video?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

It probably was wobbling.

I got in there and saw this:
Name:  CqsfU.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  54.9 KB

Yeah ok that's bad but fixable, then I turned the assembly and saw this:
Name:  zOLdE.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  48.7 KB

There's supposed to be a bolt there!

3rd location also has no bolt.

So it turns out the only thing holding the flywheel to the torque converter was this!!
Name:  q3a5c.jpg
Size:  64.1 KB

I went out and bought some M10-1.50 x 20mm class 10.9 bolts from o'reilly's. 2 of the three go right in, the 3rd is stripped to hell. Great!

Hopefully I don't have to pull the trans and change the torque converter out, although a high stall yank is on my wish list.

I'll tackle it again tomorrow or next weekend. I'm considering limping it to/from work on two bolts, haven't decided yet.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 03-10-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like the mount on the converter is bent. probly crossthreading. yep gotta take the trans out at least pull it back to get the converter and flexplate out. i would replace the flexplate too

Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah i think my flexplate is bent. i put in the two bolts i could manage to get in there, drove it around a bit, and its making some scary noises, so i parked it

looks like its time for me to read up on pulling the transmission, and I'll order that high stall converter I always wanted

Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
4th Gear Member

If you look really closely in the second video...you can see your flexplate and torque converter whopping back in forth.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, looks like I'll be starting that process this weekend

Old 05-28-2012, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I thought I'd come back and update this thread. This problem prompted me to buy another DD ('99 WJ) and pull the Z28 apart to take care of this and a few other with list items I had for it. Here goes.

Ordered a 3,200 rpm stall, derale cooler, and replacement flexplate. My original flexplate got nicely dinged up so I decided to replace it.
Name:  FlIwKl.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  56.9 KB

Removed transmission:
Name:  Nh8LVl.jpg
Size:  49.2 KB

Side by side, stock converter vs 3200rpm stall converter:
Name:  NxXyal.jpg
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  kGYfUl.jpg
Size:  55.5 KB

Just a few missing parts:
Name:  91035l.jpg
Size:  54.8 KB

Since I had the trans and flywheel out, I replaced the rear main seal. That involved replacing the oil pan gasket, which involves lifting the engine. I don't have a hoist, so I made this.
Name:  2yRAol.jpg
Size:  48.6 KB
Name:  R1TC9l.jpg
Size:  48.6 KB

New oil pump and main seal in (decided to do the pump since my pressure was lower than optimal, especially at idle):
Name:  u3zjLl.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  52.5 KB

And the new oil pan (my old one was nicely dented, looked like someone used the pan to jack up the car):
Name:  eKFpkl.jpg
Size:  46.5 KB

Also bolted on and torqued the new flex plate.

Meanwhile, my CAI arrived:
Name:  Q9avcl.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  61.3 KB

Over the hump:
Name:  W17uMl.jpg
Size:  53.3 KB
Name:  NYdapl.jpg
Size:  52.4 KB

Also, ordered the catback I've been wanting.

Old:
Name:  ShQOUl.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  64.1 KB

New:
Name:  J20vll.jpg
Size:  47.1 KB
Name:  PFSJUl.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  45.8 KB
Name:  WmQPVl.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  58.2 KB

I hope the trash man picks this up:
Name:  nky1bl.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  70.1 KB

All that's left really is to connect my trans cooling lines. I decided not to reuse my metal tubes, they got all bent up when I was pulling the trans. So I ordered 4 of these:
JEGS Performance Products 51995 JEGS Direct Fit Aluminum Radiators

...and I'll just use some rubber hose. This will make it easier to connect to my trans cooler anyhow. Those will arrive later this week. Maybe next weekend I'll get it back on the road. Need to get the dipstick back in (PITA), tighten up the motor mounts, fill up the transmission, top off the coolant, do the final adjustments on the cat-back system, and I should be back on the road.

Also I slapped one of these on:
TCI Auto 378011 - TCI Chrome Plated Steel Transmission Pans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

My old pan got nicely dented so I decided to replace it. I like the TCI since it has the drain plug. Also kinda sorta has cooling fins, but not really.

Can't wait to get it back on the road with the higher stall converter, CAI, and new sound.

Quick Reply: Please help me ID this rattle (Videos included)