Please help! Clutch pedal sticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Default Please help! Clutch pedal sticking

Hello other Camaro enthusiasts! I need your expertise concerning some issues I'm experiencing with my 1999 Camaro. One problem is when I engage the clutch the pedal it does not retrieve on it's own, I have to pull it back with my foot. No matter what gear I'm in. Also, when I have to leave my foot on the clutch too long the clutch won't disengage and I'm unable to shift the car out of first gear to put it in neutral, I have to use the emergency break in order to achieve this. Lastly, more recently in first gear only the car "jumps" , but after I give it gas it goes. I welcome all and any advice. Thank you in advance!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like the clutch is shot.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Yep, sounds like the clutch has worn out. Mine was hard to get into 2nd without double clutching, I changed the clutch disc and no its fine, I can speed shift with ease.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like you have a hydraulic problem. A worn clutch (disc) will still disengage, but you say yours won't. If your master or slave cylinder is shot, the clutch won't disengage, you can't shift, and your pedal will be soft to the floor. Those are all the symptoms you're describing.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ladybug99
One problem is when I engage the clutch the pedal it does not retrieve on it's own, I have to pull it back with my foot. No matter what gear I'm in
To me that sounds like pressure plate failure.

Also, when I have to leave my foot on the clutch too long the clutch won't disengage and I'm unable to shift the car out of first gear to put it in neutral, I have to use the emergency break in order to achieve this.
That sounds like Hydraulic failure.

first gear only the car "jumps" , but after I give it gas it goes.
and we are back to a bad clutch.

You should get a mechanic to drive the car he can tell very quickly what the problem is.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The pedal not retrieving on it's own could be a pressure plate problem if it was a mechanical clutch with free-play issues.
But this is a hydraulic system that should have hydraulic pressure against the pedal (no free-play/tension adjustments).
And her first gear jump still could be the hydraulic system not holding. That description was a little unclear as to what she's experiencing by the "jump".

Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 AM

If I'm understanding you all correctly sounds like the hydraulic issues I'm experiencing will be corrected by replacing the clutch. Is the pressure plate apart of the clutch and will the issue be resolved once the clutch is replaced? Also, are the clutch and master or slave cylinder two seperate parts and would you recommend me replacing them both?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The slave cylinder, if that's your problem, is part of the throwout bearing (it's an assembly). To replace it, the trans needs to come out. But if your clutch itself is the issue and you replace it, you will want to automatically replace the throwout/slave assembly anyway, and I would also replace the master cylinder while the system is apart. So, a complete clutch job will take care of your issues.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM

I think I should give a better description of what I'm experiencing. What I mean by the car "jumps" in first gear only is more like a hesitation as if the car wants to stall, but when I give it gas it goes. Also when coming to a stop I can't leave my foot on the clutch and the car in first gear beacause the clutch pedal will not retrieve on it's own in order for me to go. I have to put the car in neutral at a stop and putting the car into first gear is difficult, I have try a few times then eventually it will go into first.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times, hold it to the floor after the last pump, and immediately put it in gear. If it goes into gear where it didn't before, it's the hydraulics. From what you describe, it sounds like the longer you stand with the clutch pedal to the floor, the weaker the pedal pressure gets. You could start with replacing just the master cylinder, as it's a 50/50 chance of being the problem, and you don't have to remove the trans. If it's the slave/throwout, then you're removing the trans. And while in there you'll also want to replace the clutch, pressure plate, possibly the flywheel (or get it resurfaced).

Quick Reply: Please help! Clutch pedal sticking