Passenger door hitting fender

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Passenger door hitting fender

Ever since I got my car back in March 2014, the passenger door has randomly made contact with the fender as if one of them is out of place. The thing is, it usually doesn't do it. I don't normally have a passenger so it's not been high on the priority list, but now it seems to be staying this way, and it's gotten so bad that the door actually bends the back end of the fender and it feels like it might break it if the door is opened fully. Could the fender have gotten pushed backward somehow? How can I go about getting it back into place?

Old 09-24-2015, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm... sounds like either the door hinges are starting to sag, or your body panel is.

I'm still extremely new to this car, so I can't help out much. I do remember reading a few threads, either here or Z28 forums or something like that, where one guy was talking about using body shims on the fenders and quarter panels to get them to line up right.

I don't know if he was talking about just up and down movement, or if that included back and forth adjusting as well. Worth looking into. We're underway right now, so I'm really limited on how much I can help with searching around for links.

I would just take a quick google search of, "Adjusting 4th gen camaro body panel", and starting clicking and reading.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've had a couple of 4th gens. On my first one, the passenger fender was contacting the door when opened. What can happen, is if someone jacks up the front of the car, and puts the jack (or lift arm) too close to the fender, it can catch and tweak the metal bracket that the bottom of the fender is mounted to. Then the fender, being plastic, will just bow. How does the fit look when the door is closed, both the gap and does the fender look bowed in or out to the door? I was able to grab the lower part of the fender and bracket and bend it back straight. If you can't get it that way, you would need to unbolt the fender from the bracket and do some fine tuning from there.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Both of my fenders have the gap from someone lifting the car incorrectly. They've been that way since I got it and I've just never tried to fix them.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

usually if you bend the damaged part back into shape it lets the fender ease back to its proper position.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:48 PM
4th Gear Member

also a front end tap of another car can do it to pushing it back

Old 09-27-2015, 09:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there is a metal lip that sticks out by the plastic pad, sticks out a inch or so, if its flatened it pulls on the fender bringing it in enough to grab the edge of the door. if you can get it back into shape it should straighten it.

Originally Posted by Metalvayne
Both of my fenders have the gap from someone lifting the car incorrectly. They've been that way since I got it and I've just never tried to fix them.