Panhard bar x2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 PM
April 2008 ROTM
Default Panhard bar x2?

I noticed on all the panhard bar installs, there is only one bar they all replace. However I looked under the rear end on my 1999 Z and it seems there are two panhard bars, one on top of the other (both U stamped shaped metal)...

How come everyone only replaces the lower bar? Or do I not understand how these parts work at all?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Panhard bar x2?

That isn't a panhard bar, the panhard bar keeps the rear end located in the center of the car during up / down, side to side travel, the thing you see above it is a suspension brace to help stiffen the chassis. It doesn't move but having one that is stronger will also help stiffen up the chassis and improve cornering as well.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 AM
April 2008 ROTM

So am I replacing the lower susp. brace with a panhard bar? Or am I adding a panhard bar alltogether?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Tech Droid

There is only one panhard bar (GM calls it "Rod Assembly, Rear Axle Tie"), that is the bar attached directly to the axle. The other endof the bar is connectedto the brace assembly (GM calls it "Rear Axle Tie Rod Bracket"). The brace does not move, butreinforces the panhard rod bracket and the rear of the body. The only thing you are doing, is replacing the panhard bar. Panhard bars come adjustable and non adjustable. If you plan to raise or lower the car, you need the adjustable type in order to get the axle and body positioned properly.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM
April 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: z28pete

There is only one panhard bar (GM calls it "Rod Assembly, Rear Axle Tie"), that is the bar attached directly to the axle. The other end of the bar is connected to the brace assembly (GM calls it "Rear Axle Tie Rod Bracket"). The brace does not move, but reinforces the panhard rod bracket and the rear of the body. The only thing you are doing, is replacing the panhard bar. Panhard bars come adjustable and non adjustable. If you plan to raise or lower the car, you need the adjustable type in order to get the axle and body positioned properly.
Got it. Thanks guys.

I don't plan on lowering the car at all. I want to just add SFC's, panhard bar, and LCAs for this ride as I hear they do amazign things. Other than that and what I've done to the car so far, I'm leaving it alone.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I've done Panhard and rear LCA's and it fixed a lot of slop in the rear end. I wouldn't call it "amazing" but it felt much more stable to drive. For amazing, I would need to chan(g)e springs, struts and ant(i)-sway bars. Then it might actually handle like a real car.

EDIT: Spelling (in ()'s) I can't believe I let those slip d'oh.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 PM
April 2008 ROTM

Right on.

I plan on getting some LCAs, panhard bar, SFCs, and a strut tower brace for now - (and whole new struts/coils/shocks/swaybars down the road when I rack up mileage on the thing.

I think it should help out a bit.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear member

i have new sway bars, springs and front kyb agx struts, and strut bar. Just that... without the adj. panhard bar it handles AMAZING!!! and nothing short of it either. I'm in auto tech at my highschool, so i'm gonna box in teh rear lower control arms in that class, cheap and easy but yet gets the job done. I wont be doing any hardcore drag racing anyway.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 PM
April 2008 ROTM

Right on man! Yeah I read up no your suspension build a bit ago.

It's funny I am the only one who seems to want at strengthen his fbody's chassis and some rear end work, yet I want to keep the engine/tranny stock (besides lid/exhaust).

The rear end just needs some TLC!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I plan to get new front shocks, when I do I'll make a post, I have the 12 way single adjustable hals, they can go super firm for guys that like to handle, I am going to the "r" shock fixed firm compression adjustable rebound. for more street / strip stuff.

Quick Reply: Panhard bar x2?