Which one should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow that pretty good on the ins... if thats full coverage...u must have got all the gold stars.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok. thanks for the input. ill probably go on friday to see the car, so ill let you guys know

Old 07-23-2009, 02:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'd take the 02 as thats what I am looking for myself.

well, 2000ish lol

Old 07-23-2009, 09:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nmallory56
ok thanks on the imput. i got a quote from my insurance today...

the 96 would be 440 every 6 months
and the 02 is 670 every 6 months...

(im 18 in socal btw. thats why so expensive).

still worth it?
in what state?

you must be riding your parents policy and if so, i strongly advise them to up the liability to at least $250k. yes, your rates will go through the roof but a lawsuit is way more expensive. If your folks have a job, own a house or have any 401k or savings, i strongly suggest they do it.

Oh, to your point about KBB, did you not see my statement that it's a "buyers market". KBB, Edmunds, NADA do not matter. The seller can wave the book around all they want. The buyers determine the sale price, not the seller. The only choice a seller has is to not sell the car. If you have cash, then you are in the drivers seat.

Also, never ever let a seller know that you "just gotta have that car"

Let your dad or disinterested person negotiate the price. When i bought my 95 Z28 last November, i went to the seller with 25 $100 bills in one pocket. I also had 5 $100 bills in another and another 5 in my back pocket.

he wanted $4k, I laid out 25 $100 bills in front of him and asked did he want it? He kept saying $4k. I then said here you go, 5 more $100 bills and there was $3k cash laying in front of a seller who needed money. he hemmed and hawed, so as I went to pick up the cash he extended his hand and said "deal'

If the seller is out of work, or needs cash, that's not your problem. You don't overpay for anything despite how a good a story a seller will tell you.

If the negotiations take more than 60 seconds then the seller is winning. Oh, you can always find something wrong with a used car being sold, be sure to point out the flaws.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i live in CA. and yes its with my parents policy, and they already have the liability to i believe the maximum (if not then they have an umbrella policy). im just using kbb as a reference, since thats what the insurance company is going to rate my car at if i were in an accident.
the plan was to take my dad with me. the guy is asking 10,900 on craigslist. i figured i could ask him on the phone if he would take 10 flat the very day i drive up there.

do you think i can get it for less, or that i should negotiate once ive driven the 3 hours to see the car?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Gee, torque negotiates the same way I do. As far as the sellers know, I'm never terribly interested. Gotta let them know it's a take it or leave it deal, otherwise you're moving on to look at "that other car" next. Some sellers probably hate when that happens, oh well.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Do you have pictures of either?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nmallory56
i live in CA. and yes its with my parents policy, and they already have the liability to i believe the maximum (if not then they have an umbrella policy). im just using kbb as a reference, since thats what the insurance company is going to rate my car at if i were in an accident.
the plan was to take my dad with me. the guy is asking 10,900 on craigslist. i figured i could ask him on the phone if he would take 10 flat the very day i drive up there.

do you think i can get it for less, or that i should negotiate once ive driven the 3 hours to see the car?

your dad should know the drill. As for you, excitement and anticipation are probably getting in the way. Don't be offended by that, you are young. I've used that against a buyer before when I sold a car and he paid my full list price.

Your dad needs to talk to the seller and "shoot the breeze" for a few minutes. California has an unemployment rate above 10% right now so the seller may be out of work, or having a tough go of it. Your dad needs to feel it out. Now, if I was selling one of my cars right now the reason would be to make room for another project. If that is the case, the seller probably won't budge on price or maybe just a little.

Simply find the motivation for selling, ask how firm is the price since you must drive several hours, and take it from there. There is no shame in letting dad take the point on this. When it comes to not overpaying for anything, pride should be set aside. We all work too hard for our money and need to hold onto as much of it as possible.

good luck

Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Gee, torque negotiates the same way I do. As far as the sellers know, I'm never terribly interested. Gotta let them know it's a take it or leave it deal, otherwise you're moving on to look at "that other car" next. Some sellers probably hate when that happens, oh well.

I'd wager that both of us are past our teen years

Old 07-23-2009, 05:04 PM

i'd deffently go 2002 z28 6 speed