This one is for the Optispark Fans!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Good Replacement Guide?

Ok,first of all the summit opti is a cheaper version and doesnt have as good connecting points and it isnt sealed as well as the MSD version.MSD is expensive cause they are the only ones out there that make a unit like that, there is no other company you can compare to it.Secondly you dont need to remove the radiator or flush the coolant.You will want to remove the fans to give you more room, the only coolant you will lose is in the water pump and if there is some in the hoses connected to the water pump.Depending on the condition and age of the plugs and wires you may want to replace them, but if they are still in good shape dont worry about it, why waste the money if they still work good.Also check what the hoses look like,condition,age,etc. Again why waste money if its not neccessary.If you have a good wrench and socket set you should be fine with that, you may want to go to a auto parts store and either get a pulley/balancer remover/puller to get it off.Some store will let you borrow/rent them.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've been doing some research on the opti, I think a new one may be in my Vettes near future.
The good news is you don't need a puller for the crank pulley. It bolts to the crank hub (3 bolts) and is a slight press fit, but you can pry it off from the front, or tap it off from the back side from underneath the car. Also, the older 1992-94 opti isn't vented with a vacuum tube like the 95 and newer is. You can get a retro-fit kit though, which would be a very good idea to do.
This site has some helpful info: Fixing an Opti-Spark
Oh yeah, click on a picture and you'll get a caption as well. You can start with the first pic and follow along like a story.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Alih

Ok,first of all the summit opti is a cheaper version and doesnt have as good connecting points and it isnt sealed as well as the MSD version.MSD is expensive cause they are the only ones out there that make a unit like that, there is no other company you can compare to it.Secondly you dont need to remove the radiator or flush the coolant.You will want to remove the fans to give you more room, the only coolant you will lose is in the water pump and if there is some in the hoses connected to the water pump.Depending on the condition and age of the plugs and wires you may want to replace them, but if they are still in good shape dont worry about it, why waste the money if they still work good.Also check what the hoses look like,condition,age,etc. Again why waste money if its not neccessary.If you have a good wrench and socket set you should be fine with that, you may want to go to a auto parts store and either get a pulley/balancer remover/puller to get it off.Some store will let you borrow/rent them.
A:More expensive does not always mean better. Other units appear to work just fine and MSD units weren't installed at the factory; were they?

B: you're in there, pull it and clean the bloody thing. How old is your car? Spend a little more time and clean up some things

C: I'd rather spend $250 on an Accel, Summit, or OEM opti and then $15 on coolant and another $40 on hoses. Unless those hoses have been replaced within the past 2 years, since you're in there, you may as well replace them. The rotting is from the inside out.

I just don't understand spending $500 on an opti and not buying "insurance" and making sure the hoses are in good shape. Nothing worse than kicking yourself at night over a freaking blown $10 hose that you could have replaced the last time you were working on the vehicle.

It's just different schools of thought. Mine is from almost 2 million (accident free) miles driven and years of working on vehicles.

cheers