which one...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:10 AM
2nd Gear member

If it is the original coolant in your Dad's car, then it definitely needs to be replaced. A complete flush of the whole cooling system (block, radiator and heater core) will be a little messy, but it is defintitely needed.

Also, your Dad's car is worth about $2K tops in my area. The '94 Z28 would go for about $5K depending on how good it looks.

If those were the only two options available, I would go for the Z28. There is no replacement for displacement. But I would keep looking around and see if I could find something better. Don't rush into a decision, you will most likely regret it later.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by lowrider101
ok yes thank you gorn ill just tell my dad that we might not have to take out the motor...PHEW! and the paint on the 94 is all god just clear coat it off of the hood and thats it
There is no such thing as just the clear coat. The clear coat has all the UV protection in it the Base coat (the color) does not have any. Base coat/clear coat will not fade until the base coat is exposed to the sun. Once it is, it fades very fast. If you recleared the the current base coat it is going to look very splotchy. The base coat can also absorb chemicals that can make reclearing impossible (Like silcone based waxs). Most body shop will not reclear a color once clear is gone. Its a 16 year old car. If you ever want the car to look nice it will need painted.

Don't take my word for it. Ask for a quote and see what the bodyshop guy says.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-19-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

both over priced. keep looking. find a 96 or newer base or z28. maybe get dad to read these and he will lower the price.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM

ok ill add another one to the list... its a 1996 camaro z28 coupe t=tops k&n filter 190000 km the guy says it could use tires but can go for awhile without and this one has good paint and is 5500 obo im thinkin he might go lower though
what are your thoughts

Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Z28 all the way
Amen.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:31 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by StatusKill
I am not biased, I actually want a new cami!! But what you need is a base mustng. You are obviously limited by budget, so I suggest a 2006 cabriolet. I get crazy looks every day! Peasants drool as soon as they see my top hit the deck! Hit the f'n salv army...u are an auto celeb...it is crazy how many HATAZ *** out of the woods
Where's the beef? A Z28 will give you the most horsepower per dollar.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

from a parents point of view,,, if this is your first car, get a 3.8 96 to 97 yr. never really thought about how long the 97 has been your dads, post up some pictures, did he get it new? if this has been his car for a time it may be something you two together could work on and make some lifetime memories. then again maybe not, anyways maybe make an offer to dad that you would agree to get his car and forgo him worrying about you with a 300 hp v8, if he would agree to a price of 2000 bucks and that he would help you to do some work on it to make it last and look like your car. that would leave you with some cash (and if dad gets into it like i would there would be some free parts for safety things like brakes) for nice wheels and tires, stereo, some maintenance work like a tuneup and new fluids all around, a computer tune, then you got a very nice ride with more hp than allot of old style 350 v8s and gets 25 to 30 mpg.

Last edited by craby; 08-20-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
from a parents point of view,,, if this is your first car, get a 3.8 96 to 97 yr. never really thought about how long the 97 has been your dads, post up some pictures, did he get it new? if this has been his car for a time it may be something you two together could work on and make some lifetime memories. then again maybe not, anyways maybe make an offer to dad that you would agree to get his car and forgo him worrying about you with a 300 hp v8, if he would agree to a price of 2000 bucks and that he would help you to do some work on it to make it last and look like your car. that would leave you with some cash (and if dad gets into it like i would there would be some free parts for safety things like brakes) for nice wheels and tires, stereo, some maintenance work like a tuneup and new fluids all around, a computer tune, then you got a very nice ride with more hp than allot of old style 350 v8s and gets 25 to 30 mpg.
I have a 16 year old daughter. I am going to let her "use" my 96 V6\5 speed. I am working on a 93 Z28 for me. She is not allowed to mod it until she buys it. She is already talking cosmedic mods (strips). Once she drives for awhile and likes it she will be on the payment plan. I am still not sure the 5 speed will work out for her.

Tell your dad he needs a Z28 and you will take the V6 off his hands