Old School

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Default Old School

Has anyone seen any information about installing a old school 350 in one of these 4th Gens or how tough of a swap it would be?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there is a stick in the V6 section V6 to V8 swap. Back 4 or 5 pages there is a link posted to a build thread from one of our members. Check it out.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Just know that there is precious little room under the hood for a carb. Not to mention that you will have to trim the firewall / dash to fit a distributor in there. That doesn't address the problems you will run into when adjusting timing.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 PM
4th Gear Member

take a look at this. Night and day difference between working on a 3rd gen and 4th gen under the hood

I did the 4th gen first and the restoring the 3rd gen was a breeze. Believe it or not, the rest of the engine on the 4th gen really is under there. I don't just have half of the engine installed

Attached Thumbnails Old School-lt1-elbow.jpg   Old School-gen1sbcreva.jpg  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Overdrive Member

I always have to ask why do people want to put an engine in a car that has lower performance then the engine that belongs there?

The best perfoming 350 was the late 90's Vortec engines that produced 280 Net HP, with Fuel injection. The best performing small block chevy before the LT1 was the 67 327 that produced 375hp which was fuel injected. This was the highest rated HP of a chevy Small Block until the LS6 came out producing 385HP.

So why would you want to put a lower powered engine in your car?

Massey

Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Massey
I always have to ask why do people want to put an engine in a car that has lower performance then the engine that belongs there?

The best perfoming 350 was the late 90's Vortec engines that produced 280 Net HP, with Fuel injection. The best performing small block chevy before the LT1 was the 67 327 that produced 375hp which was fuel injected. This was the highest rated HP of a chevy Small Block until the LS6 came out producing 385HP.

So why would you want to put a lower powered engine in your car?

Massey
I am sure it will comes back to money. The SBC engine is one of the cheapest motors to make fast (Note I said fast NOT steetable). It is also the most common to have laying around. Getting 450 HP form a small block (non 305) is not tuff and if the person does the reseach it can be cheap. But what most people that come here do not understand is that getting it to work in a 4 gen is not worth it. It is much cheaper and easier to pick up a unfinshed 3rd gen for $500 and go from there.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Overdrive Member

OH I know the 350s are cheap engines to build I have built a couple of them myself. Although the most powerful one I have built was not "cheap". Building a LT1 engine is not that much more $$$ and the performance is leaps and bounds over the old school stuff. But I know the computer and electronics involved in modern engines scare people. Instead of taking the time to learn something new, they run for the old stuff that was left behind for a very good reason.

Carbs were invented back in the late 1800's. Technology in carbs peaked with performance in the 1960s and with economy in the 1980s... You can get economy or perfomance from a carb but you cant have both at the same time.

Mechanical Fuel injection was invented in the 1930's and that technology peaked in the 1960s for performance and in the early 80's for economy. Again you can get economy or perfomance but not both at the same time.

Electronic FI was invented in the late 1970's and even today it is still a developing technology. But even as the technology develops we can already achieve performance and economy at the same time in the same package.

Massey

Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Default Like This?

even though i kept my motor timid(350hp) its a blast to drive!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Overdrive Member

The air cleaner all cocked to the side looks like a major hack job to me. Also I can see that the dizzy is not even hooked up right from here. Glad you like it... I would not touch that with some one elses 10 foot pole.

Massey

Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Looks like a complete hack job IMO. I'm with Massey, not even with someone else's 10 ft pole.

Quick Reply: Old School