OK help me out here !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Unhappy OK help me out here !!!

96 camaro rs 3800 v-6 auto. [will not start/will not turn over/or engauge starter] I'v serched the VATS threds i think there's my problem, here's what i'v checked; 1-no power from ign swich to starter,2-starter can be jumped an car will run with key on for a miniut then dies. 3-got ign. power from swich when in start possition on lower part of colum going out to ? 4-tryd a new key nothing,

at this point i'm thinking key swich wires, so following the thred to check & BYPASS the key cylinder. I have checked 2-keys with a ohm meter key #1 read 2.28 ohms /key #2 read 2.37 ohms SO checking there chart for my chip resistance the readings I got wasn't in there chart range # 1 on the chart was norm=402/low=386/hi=438 ??

went to next step ck wireing from key to lower plug conector-key in the ON position checked ohms at wires coming from key cyl. IS NOT READING NOTHING !should read the same as the key ohms! so tells me the wire is broke so i want to put a resistor in its place ocording to the instructions.

so what size resistor do i get ??
where do i get it at ?? radio shack ?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Tech Droid

It sounds like it could be a VATS problem, but if it were the security lamp should be ON.
The measurements you took are totally wrong. You need to remeasure the resistance of the pellet. The pellet has metal contacts embedded in it, you should measure between those contacts. If the measurements you took are correct, then both of your keys are bad, and you are a bit out of luck. You will have to get one each of all 15 resistor values and try till one of them works.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 PM

WOW ! i can't beleve 44 views on this post an ONLY 1 responce ! there's OVER 15 threds on this same problem BUT none of them tell you about what resistor to use an where to get it nor anything about the ohms of the key chip ? at least none i found..

Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Droid
Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Overdrive Member

So is the Security light on? Did you get it scanned by a scanner capable of telling you the code? (i.e. Tech 2)

Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM

ok z28pet not whining just stating a fact.. as far as that link that does me NO good i have that same thing as far as the chip codes/ No i have not had it scaned for codes I pulled the stering wheel today an just as i suspected a broken wire .. BUT i do not want to fix it by replacing the key an tumbler assmbly... this is my whole point i want to do the resistor but my keys read lower than the #1 on the chart say my key is 228 an key #1 is low at 402 does that mean i have key #1 chip ?? plus took the key to RADIO SHACK they got the same reading for the chip as i did in both of my keys so it wasn't me not reading the ohm meter wroung.. going to dealer tomoro so they can TELL me what chip is in it !! we'll see what they come up with.. but i'm sure they will only be able to give me the code not the resistance for a resistor ??

Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 PM

ok dealer checked BOTH keys said they were #8 an was good . went to radio shack an got resistors to make up the same resistance as the key, hooked them up,! WOW ! the car now cranks over but will not start?? went to step ? TDR bypass unpluged it an conected the purple & yellow wires togeather like it said, and NOTHING CHANGED cranks no start [well at least it's cranking over now] so WHAT NOW ??

Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 PM

well decided to go back to the drawing board !! BOUGHT A NEW IGN.KEY CYLINDER had the GM key cut to #8 put it all back STOCK the way it was. AN cranks + fuel pump STARTS AN DIES OH an I have NO GAUGES when the key is on now..it runs for a miniut just like you killed the ignition??? THEN if you let it sit for about 15 Min. an hit the key NOTHING !!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Have you checked for other electrical issue's? I'm no expert but, to me it sounds like it could be a crank sensor or pcm issue, but idk if that would explain your fuel pump and dash guage issues. I would get it scanned for codes. My dads new rustang has an issues with the pcm, that is causing random failures from the a/c not working to the trans slipping and shifting terribly.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 PM

well i guess there's no help !! jsut do the same thing a dealership would do start thowing parts at it..