Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Ok guys... Project Camaro will about to be done (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/ok-guys-project-camaro-will-about-done-38025/)

SixShooterCamaro 04-28-2009 05:20 PM

Ok guys... Project Camaro will about to be done

Just have a question for ya...

Ok so a buddy of mine has a 1997 Firehawk which has an LT4 in it with around 385 horses. He is swapping that out with a 6.2 corvette engine his friend is giving him. Now he is selling me the motor/tranny/suspension/rear-end/ECM/wire-harness etc.. for 5 grand which is a steal especially for the motor only having 27,000 miles on it.

Here is the kicker, I have 1995 3.4L V6 camaro.. Although his friend owns a shop and basically will do the swap, is there anything I should know before doing this or any complications I may run into, or am i good to go?

02StanGT 04-28-2009 05:25 PM

New (bigger) radiator, new fans, fuel pump, exhaust will be a bit different, and that is all that I can think of right now. Wait... You may need a new gauge cluster. Keep in mind that you are going from OBD-I to a OBD-II system.

SixShooterCamaro 04-28-2009 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 02StanGT (Post 317293)
New (bigger) radiator, new fans, fuel pump, exhaust will be a bit different, and that is all that I can think of right now. Wait... You may need a new gauge cluster. Keep in mind that you are going from OBD-I to a OBD-II system.

I already have a V8 Radiator out of a 97 z28... My friend isnt giving me the fans but oh well I can buy them and gauge cluster isnt too bad of an item to get.... so basically fuel pump and exhaust... which my boy is giving me his exhaust, I already have Z28 rims which i probably wont use...

Is it true that I have to change the VIN when I go do emissions?

YoungDriver 04-28-2009 06:14 PM

Won't he need a better tranny and driveshaft?

SixShooterCamaro 04-28-2009 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by YoungDriver (Post 317310)
Won't he need a better tranny and driveshaft?

Thats all part of the 5 grand... he is giving me his driveshaft and tranny.. it also has a shift kit and a 1700 stall converter, I asked him if the driveshaft would fit because im sure its a different wheelbase and he said he would throw in his suspension with it so everything fits

Tonylig928 04-28-2009 08:51 PM

sounds like a good deal!
your gonna need a radiator(which you said you had),fans, fuel pump, prob. the gauge stuff, it's gonna be some project but just double check the work when you do it ! make sure everything is where it should be. and it should be fine.

SixShooterCamaro 04-28-2009 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tonylig928 (Post 317397)
sounds like a good deal!
your gonna need a radiator(which you said you had),fans, fuel pump, prob. the gauge stuff, it's gonna be some project but just double check the work when you do it ! make sure everything is where it should be. and it should be fine.

Yeah I figured that much... I just cant wait til I get started, im going to his place tomorrow to sit down and sketch out everything were gonna do... everything from rims, paint, engine mods etc...

But someone told me if I do a swap then ill have problems taking it to emissions because the VIN will read for a 3.4L Camaro but I didnt know emission places read the VIN or put it in the computer... is there any truth behind that?