Oil leak on a 4th Gen should be no more than $260 at a place u have spent $950 in wk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:06 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Oil leak on a 4th Gen should be no more than $260 at a place u have spent $950 in wk?

title:

i am making an educated guess that my trans. shop which changes oil, also does motor oil leakage seals.

since i have spent almost $1000 in 7 days on the drive train specifically new drive shaft, new transmission mount, and about to get "transmission service" this Monday all totalling almost $1,000

I think they would want to establish a relationship with me and go low on an oil leak repair, they seem as aforesaid competent enough to do motor oil gasket replacements and add silicone

I mean this seems like an easy job even on a hard-to-get-to-motor-oil-area 4th gen. It's way down there in the underbelly

any thoughts? have an awesome Monday. here's a pic of the old lady on the right in red next to the '65 mustang.

thanks for any input.

i am sort of freaking out....google has really no answers.

my old lady is after me .

thankfully i have no children with her.

time is of the essence.

i want to liquidate my funds ON THIS LAST CAMARO REPAIR before she gets her hands on my bank account.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak on a 4th Gen should be no more than 0 at a place u have spent 0 in wk?-camcat.jpg  
Old 12-27-2015, 01:11 PM
4th Gear Member

well I got to say that well established shops ,they may give you a break sometimes,but they can pick an choose what they want to do more then likely ,your oil leak they should be able to tell you where its leaking from ,then give you a price ,is it leaking from just on spot many ,it may just be pan gasket ,but the dye will find for real every spot its leaking ? if its a small leak I would not worry like few drops a day ,but if its worse well then its crap shoot ,but it should never cost anything for an estimate,you can get one from them then have some else fix it

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 12-27-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear member

thanks again. got an estimate from synfast oil change. they were highly recommened until they jacked the price on an oil change cos my car's mileage was 135k . i called them back and in a civil way complained. I don't think they would ever give me a diagram of where the oil is exactly leaking from, both because after the oil change job was over, I argued that he cheated me and also because they are perhaps bound by most Company policies not to hand over oil leak diagrams since they pay for them and know car owners will use them to go somewhere cheaper.

but they did tell me it was a small oil leak(s)

I am maxing out at $300 (including labor) for an oil leak repair which involves

1) replacing old oil pan gasket
2) installing a new oil pan gasket and finally
3) adding silicone which even comes with factory fresh off the assembly-line cars

thanks again.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:06 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CamBigCat
thanks again. got an estimate from synfast oil change. they were highly recommened until they jacked the price on an oil change cos my car's mileage was 135k . i called them back and in a civil way complained. I don't think they would ever give me a diagram of where the oil is exactly leaking from, both because after the oil change job was over, I argued that he cheated me and also because they are perhaps bound by most Company policies not to hand over oil leak diagrams since they pay for them and know car owners will use them to go somewhere cheaper.

but they did tell me it was a small oil leak(s)

I am maxing out at $300 (including labor) for an oil leak repair which involves

1) replacing old oil pan gasket
2) installing a new oil pan gasket and finally
3) adding silicone which even comes with factory fresh off the assembly-line cars

thanks again.

how do you know that it's the oil pan gasket?

Are you sure that it's not the rear main seal or coming from anywhere else?

With respect to the cost of paying a professional, you either learn to do things yourself of you pay someone to do it.

If you don't like paying, then it leaves only 1 other option.

I don't know about six cylinder Camaros but 4th gen V8's are not friendly with respect to access to things.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:43 PM
4th Gear Member

true ,if its. not that bad a leak then leave it alone till it gets worse ,my 95 did not leak for first 5 years ,then only leaked a few drops each week ,after I pounded it on occasion ,then I drove it more like gram after the leak .car owed me nothing after 5 years ,only thing I did was a water pump that whole time tires .well tune up was my choise

Old 12-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sometimes oil leaks are right there and easy to see, most times they are not. Wind will rip through and engine bay and push oil all over the place. I have seen professional mechanics fooled. Step one look around and see where you think the oil leaks is. Step two Clean all areas, Step three run engine until you see where the oil is coming from. I would bet money that unless you paid money to have a oil leak checked you have not had steps 2 and 3 done yet. You have someones guess on the oil leak location. Heck it could be oil from the last oil change or it could just be some seepage. GM considers seepage normal on even new cars and will not attemp a repair.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Hi, Gorn. I came back from a general mechanic recently, it cost me $450 to repair the oil leak, Gorn. that price included labor at a highly recommended shop on Yelp.com; *But now the car vibrates at idle only; the transmission shop said the old transmission mount might have domino effected the motor mount(s) and messed them up.
I'm wondering if he is passing the buck, but his shop is highly reputable so I don't want to upset him or be too pushy. He highly suggested, I take it to a trusted general mechanic.

So I either have 1 or more bad motor mounts that I have to take to the general mechanic who did a good job at a reasonable price since the engine has to be hauled out High to get to the oil pan gasket in these Camaros. I'm glad I don't have to check the oil as often even though the leaks were minor.

Now I'm wondering how long I can drive with a car that vibrates on idle so that you can feel your feet on the brake vibrate, too. I've heard people drive for years on a bad motor mount(s), I guess that's Ok if you don't slam on the gas and go racing since that would shake the motor mount etc.

I'm tapped out. There are 2 main reasons for a Vibration @ idle: 1) Bad motor mounts 2) Fuel Injection system is dirty (the 2nd one seems like a much cheaper fix) Now I have to save for a motor mount replacement or option 2: the carbeurator and fuel injection system may be dirty, etc. Hopefully, it's a cheap fix. Motor mounts even Original Manufuctered ones are inexpensive delivered let's say by Napa Autoparts. Then labor this general mechanic-dude charges $80 an hour with a free diagnostic. So I'm guessing with parts and labor I'm looking at $200 or $250 (which includes labor) versus what he charged me for a 3 hour oil leak fix job of $450. *I bet a motor mount exchange can be done in 1 hour, or 1 and a half hour tops. By the way, the general mechanic couldn't give me an estimate since he needs to know the # of motor mounts affected.

I'm thinking $250 to replace motor mounts includes labor
$150 to clean fuel injection system

any thoughts. car vibrating at idle is not a good feeling. Thanks

Old 12-29-2015, 11:43 AM
4th Gear Member

could be what your saying its sounding like one problem after another hear now ,you have to come to point where what is it costing you as to how much the car is worth ,if its mount an that fixes it ,then you ok,but when cars start to nickel an dime you ,yes I drove a few cars for year with broken mount ,are you running a cleaner in the gas high octane

Old 12-29-2015, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
could be what your saying its sounding like one problem after another hear now ,you have to come to point where what is it costing you as to how much the car is worth ,if its mount an that fixes it ,then you ok,but when cars start to nickel an dime you ,yes I drove a few cars for year with broken mount ,are you running a cleaner in the gas high octane
I'm going to be adding Premium the most expensive kind from now on. I don't know where your at but im in Calif. and unless u have a classic pre 70's car, the yr of the last great classic the olds 70 cutlass with amazing pickup acceleration every 2 yrs u have to pass a pesky stringent 45 min. long smog test. I added premium at least 1 month before the smog test as well as a fuel injector @ a 1/4 of a tank-- and something else that clean the cat. converter (CataClean sold on amazon dot com with amazing cust. service reviews and also Good 2 Go Guaranteed to Pass Smog). I will not be adding fuel injectors anymore like it says on the bottle in the back every 4 months every 1/4 of a yr. too much of that cleaner can harm piston rings and stuff. i knew all that before. takin it to the general-mechanic now--what the trans. shop suggested instead of asking to bring it down to the trans. shop. ok off to go there. bye for now.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CamBigCat
Hi, Gorn. I came back from a general mechanic recently, it cost me $450 to repair the oil leak, Gorn. that price included labor at a highly recommended shop on Yelp.com; *But now the car vibrates at idle only; the transmission shop said the old transmission mount might have domino effected the motor mount(s) and messed them up.
I'm wondering if he is passing the buck, but his shop is highly reputable so I don't want to upset him or be too pushy. He highly suggested, I take it to a trusted general mechanic.

So I either have 1 or more bad motor mounts that I have to take to the general mechanic who did a good job at a reasonable price since the engine has to be hauled out High to get to the oil pan gasket in these Camaros. I'm glad I don't have to check the oil as often even though the leaks were minor.

Now I'm wondering how long I can drive with a car that vibrates on idle so that you can feel your feet on the brake vibrate, too. I've heard people drive for years on a bad motor mount(s), I guess that's Ok if you don't slam on the gas and go racing since that would shake the motor mount etc.

I'm tapped out. There are 2 main reasons for a Vibration @ idle: 1) Bad motor mounts 2) Fuel Injection system is dirty (the 2nd one seems like a much cheaper fix) Now I have to save for a motor mount replacement or option 2: the carbeurator and fuel injection system may be dirty, etc. Hopefully, it's a cheap fix. Motor mounts even Original Manufuctered ones are inexpensive delivered let's say by Napa Autoparts. Then labor this general mechanic-dude charges $80 an hour with a free diagnostic. So I'm guessing with parts and labor I'm looking at $200 or $250 (which includes labor) versus what he charged me for a 3 hour oil leak fix job of $450. *I bet a motor mount exchange can be done in 1 hour, or 1 and a half hour tops. By the way, the general mechanic couldn't give me an estimate since he needs to know the # of motor mounts affected.

I'm thinking $250 to replace motor mounts includes labor
$150 to clean fuel injection system

any thoughts. car vibrating at idle is not a good feeling. Thanks
too low of an idle will cause engine vibration
vacuum leak will cause vibration
misfires will cause vibration
dead cylinder will cause vibration
too rich an idle mixture will cause vibration
aftermarket cam will cause vibration

I can keep going

it's time to start diagnosing and not continue tossing parts at it

Quick Reply: Oil leak on a 4th Gen should be no more than $260 at a place u have spent $950 in wk?