oil filter exploded?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

And silly me thought his engine was making noise because all of his oil was on the ground.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Here's something else you want to check. More than once when I've changed my oil, the gasket from the old filter sticks to the block. Always make sure you look at the old filter to make sure the gasket is there. If you're not paying attention to the old oiled up filter, it could be easy to install the new filter with the old gasket still on the block, especially if you can't get a good straight visual of the area (which is not uncommon). With two gaskets under the filter, you will have a blowout, guaranteed.
Yeah i made sure that its not on the filter I've put another filter on and this one exploded now the oil isn't leaking it exploded and its all over my engine now. Same thing happened the gasket didn't stick and I was driving for around 1k miles b4 it happened to my old filter

Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Massey
When my engine did this it happened 2x. THe first time was in the previous owner's driveway and she was able to shut down with no major damage to the engine. When it happened again I was driving down the road and I could not get it shut down in time. Soon after a rod started knocking, and I ended up replacing my engine. My cause was #5 rod bearing spun. It tore up the crank pretty good too.

This engine picks up oil and feeds it through the pump then to the filter and out to the cam then crank. The rods are fed through the main journals of the crank. Due to the design if there is an obstruction of the crank, cam or rods this will result in a sudden higher than normal pressure that could exceed the limits of the oil filter gasket. There is a pressure relief valve in the block but if the pressure spikes suddenly it can pop the oil filter gasket before the valve moves into the bypass position.

Replace your oil filter and check your oil level, add as needed. start the engine and watch the oil pressure. If it is way above or below 60 psi then you have internal damage and should not drive the car. If that is the case then see my thread here:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/3800-series-ii-iii-engine-replacement-info-57568/
For locations of new engines for you.

If your oil level is good (right around 60) you may still have internal damage, but take it easy on the engine and it should last a while longer. If it pops another oil filter then you have issues and again see the link for a new engine.

Massey

The oil never exceeds 60 and its always under and the filter got thrown off again you thinks its the same case of what happened to you? Where is the best place to find an engine and the website you gave me selles engines with at least 120k miles on them. Please help!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
And silly me thought his engine was making noise because all of his oil was on the ground.
Noise first, Oil filter blew the next day. I have had way too many customers tell me that same exact story.

My second clue
Originally Posted by sebi1990
i did go pretty fast on the highway i hit 6000 rpms
The 3800 is a tuff little motors but I am seeing that with higher miles and stock motors 5500 RPM can damage a stock motor. I am not saying all of them will go if Rev'ed to 5500 but we have seen few and my 96 was almost perfectly maintained but it spun a main bearing at 132K when the lady who owned let someone borrow one night. Most likely the crap main bolts GM uses.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-07-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Overdrive Member

The website link I gave you was my thread on which cars you can use to get a new engine from. You should be able to get an engine for around $500-$700 with under 90K on the clock. I paid $500 for a 70K engine that came out of a 2001 Bonneville. The thread there also tells you what parts need to be swapped over from one engine to the other to make a FWD engine work in your car. They are the EXACT same engine so dont let a wrecking yard tell you they are not or they will not work. Just tell them to sell you a L36 (vin K) engine out of one of the cars I have listed. Or if you want a series III engine (they cost a little more) look for a L26 or Vin 2. Good luck!

Massey

Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear member

The website link I gave you was my thread on which cars you can use to get a new engine from. You should be able to get an engine for around $500-$700 with under 90K on the clock. I paid $500 for a 70K engine that came out of a 2001 Bonneville. The thread there also tells you what parts need to be swapped over from one engine to the other to make a FWD engine work in your car. They are the EXACT same engine so dont let a wrecking yard tell you they are not or they will not work. Just tell them to sell you a L36 (vin K) engine out of one of the cars I have listed. Or if you want a series III engine (they cost a little more) look for a L26 or Vin 2. Good luck!

Massey
What would be a major diffrence between Series II and III?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Overdrive Member

the only difference is the intake valves are .030 larger, The FWD engines had an improvement in the intake manifolds (which we dont need to worry about.) I dont see how with the stock cam the .030 would make that much of an improvement in performance. Both of the engines have the same pistons, cam and blocks so the lower end of the engine is all the same between series II and III. Either engine will suit your needs.

Massey

Old 03-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Overdrive Member

OH one more thing. AVOID buying a supercharged engine!! The block, crand and heads are the same but the cam, rods, pistons are all set up for the SC and will not perform very well if you put the stock intake on the engine.

Massey

Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 PM
2nd Gear member

OH one more thing. AVOID buying a supercharged engine!! The block, crand and heads are the same but the cam, rods, pistons are all set up for the SC and will not perform very well if you put the stock intake on the engine.

Massey
kk thx