Oil Brand

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Oil Brand

First time changing oil on my 98 V6. What brand of oil do you recommend and how much will I need. Also, do I need to know anything else? Anything about the oil filter?

Old 11-23-2007, 12:07 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Oil Brand

i swear by mobil one- walmart has a 5 qt jug for $21.( 98 v6 calls for 4.5 qts of 10w30) .... its a synthetic oil that they put in vipers, corvettes and camaro ss from the factory. i use it in my z28 and rs.
they also make oil filters ($10) which are one of the best.
*****fram filters are horrable*****

Old 11-23-2007, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright, so im gonna go buy it and replace it now. If anything goes wrong I'll blame it on you.

EDIT: what about K&N oil filters?

Old 11-23-2007, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

i swear by mobil one- walmart has a 5 qt jug for $21.( 98 v6 calls for 4.5 qts of 10w30) .... its a synthetic oil that they put in vipers, corvettes and camaro ss from the factory. i use it in my z28 and rs.
wow, Thats exsactly what I was going to say. word for word...

Go for mobil one full synthetic. I thought about switching to royal purple, but I think im gunna stick to mobil one.

K&N filters are good, but a waist of money IMO. Its not like an airfilter were after you buy it, its garrentted for life. Your going to have to buy a new oil filter a few times a year, at least. I use mobil 1 filters as well.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheStig

wow, Thats exsactly what I was going to say. word for word...

Go for mobil one full synthetic. I thought about switching to royal purple, but I think im gunna stick to mobil one.

K&N filters are good, but a waist of money IMO. Its not like an airfilter were after you buy it, its garrentted for life. Your going to have to buy a new oil filter a few times a year, at least. I use mobil 1 filters as well.
This is weird. I do the exact same thing. Get the 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 5w-30 for $20 and the $9 Mobil 1 oil filter too from Wal-Mart. Thats the place to go for Mobil 1 oil though. I even returned a case of Mobil 1 I got fromCostco, because it was $5 cheaper at Wal-Mart.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:56 PM
4th Gear Member

one more thing though, with mobil one, they put in cleaners to remove gum and gunk from the motor. this gunk may be "plugging" a bad gasket so you may spring an oil leak after a while. my cars dont leak any with 100,000 on both. but my z28 burns a little bit (1/2 qt every 1000 miles) with the full synthetic. its just so thin compaired to regular oil. it is damn good though.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

one more thing though, with mobil one, they put in cleaners to remove gum and gunk from the motor. this gunk may be "plugging" a bad gasket so you may spring an oil leak after a while. my cars dont leak any with 100,000 on both. but my z28 burns a little bit (1/2 qt every 1000 miles) with the full synthetic. its just so thin compaired to regular oil. it is damn good though.
This is why I tell people to never use oil additives. Oil companys spends millions trying to figure out what to put in their oil to make it best for an engine. Then some stupid guy reads the back of some can & deciedes to poor it into his oil & mess up the whole fomula.

The only exseption to this is sea foam, and thats becuase its a one time thing & you only put it in your oil for 100-200 mile, then drain it.

So DO NOT USE OIL ADDITIVES!!!

/rant

Old 11-23-2007, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ive used castrol gtx for my v6, penzzoil is good, valvoline is alright, i use mobil 1 synthetic high mileage for my Z. its the best out there. stig is right DO NOT use oil additives especially if you are using synthetic, i do however use lucas for fuel injection but that completely different, good stuff i have to say.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:36 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JHL88

ive used castrol gtx for my v6, penzzoil is good, valvoline is alright, i use mobil 1 synthetic high mileage for my Z. its the best out there
yes brother.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

the other thing u can do to help clean it out or atleast i have always done is pour a qt of trans fluid in the eng b4 i do any oil change i run for 10 to 15 min at idle or i drive for 5 to 10 miles then do my oil change .. it helps get all the crap out because of the detergents in it it breaks up the oil and get rid of the sludge. it just break up the oil so when u do it the first time i always get the cheap 5-30 and run it for about 100 miles then change it out to the good stuff and from then on i all i do is pour in some trans fluid right before i do an oil change and i have never had a problem and my oil always looks good after 3000 or so miles.. just what i do.

Quick Reply: Oil Brand