O2 sensor fix i think???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Post O2 sensor fix i think???

Like i said before engine light came on and said O2 sensor so i changed all four of them.Light still comes on after a while so i checked it and it said O2 sensor upstream and air pump!!!Does anyone know if this can be taken off and cleaned or does it have to be replaced or is that even my problem.

Also when i push it alot my oil dipstick tube pops out a little bit....not much.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

98 3.8? check to make sure you air pump is operating and the fuse in not blown for it. you can clean the 02's with a propane torch, heat the end up and it should clean right up. not to hot. dont want to burn the wire insulation.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Originally Posted by craby
98 3.8? check to make sure you air pump is operating and the fuse in not blown for it. you can clean the 02's with a propane torch, heat the end up and it should clean right up. not to hot. dont want to burn the wire insulation.
I changed all four of the o2 just recently so i dont think it would be that.Its a 5.7 v8 motor LS1,u said there is a fuse for the air pump???It just looks like a hose near the intake with like a big pcv valve or something in it.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Overdrive Member

The fuse for the air pump is located in one of the boxes on the drivers side front engine bay. Your dipstick popping up could be 2 things, one just simple vibrations and second you could need to change your PCV valve. it is located inside a hose that goes to the throttle body just behind the butterfly on the passenger's side of the intake. If you are not venting enough crankcase gasses you could be causing the o2 code and also the dipstick to pop off to relieve the crankcase.

Massey

Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Smile

Originally Posted by Massey
The fuse for the air pump is located in one of the boxes on the drivers side front engine bay. Your dipstick popping up could be 2 things, one just simple vibrations and second you could need to change your PCV valve. it is located inside a hose that goes to the throttle body just behind the butterfly on the passenger's side of the intake. If you are not venting enough crankcase gasses you could be causing the o2 code and also the dipstick to pop off to relieve the crankcase.

Massey
I will look at my fuses tonight to see if there is a fuse for that because it doesnt look like there would be one for that it just looks like a hose with like a big valve on it with no wiring?Im hoping the dip stick is coming out from vibration because the only time it comes out is when i givver.Also i did change the pcv valve and it still does it.

Thanks for the info. Brad.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are you saying there are no wires hooked to the pump? if the pump is disconnected it will throw a code. mine needed a new pump. it was weird, if the fuse was out it would not throw a code but with the pump unplugged and fuse in it would, and of coarse with it hooked up it would also throw a code. fuse is in the black box on the driver side fenderwell like massey says. carefull unscrewing the plastic screw that holds it down, easy to break. flip top over and there should be a diagram of what fuses and relays are where.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
are you saying there are no wires hooked to the pump? if the pump is disconnected it will throw a code. mine needed a new pump. it was weird, if the fuse was out it would not throw a code but with the pump unplugged and fuse in it would, and of coarse with it hooked up it would also throw a code. fuse is in the black box on the driver side fenderwell like massey says. carefull unscrewing the plastic screw that holds it down, easy to break. flip top over and there should be a diagram of what fuses and relays are where.
I will check it out closer tonight when i get home i just looked fast the other day,but HMMMM!!!!I will check again.Car still wworks the same when it comes on it just bothers me to see it on.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Checked the air pump and it is working fine,but the hoses next to the intake that are hooked to the air pump have a check valve on it on both sides.One has no air coming or going out of it and the other side has fummes coming out of it so the mechanic friend said thats not normal so im going to order that check valve thing tomorrow and try it.Does anyone know if that is normal?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if your getting exhaust coming back to the pump then thats not normal and will throw the 02 level that reaches the 02 sensor.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes
if your getting exhaust coming back to the pump then thats not normal and will throw the 02 level that reaches the 02 sensor.
I tried last night to put that check valve in and went for a drive and sure enough it came on again.The air pump is working fine also,the mechanic even brought it to a friend that works at the GM dealer in towm here and put it on the machine and he is also stumpped also,he thinks it is because of the SLP exhast that is getting to much exhaust flow through the 02's.I think i will either have to unplug the engine light or get those 02 simulaters.....what do u think Craby!!

Quick Reply: O2 sensor fix i think???