not getting enough power from my v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Unhappy not getting enough power from my v6

I got a 95 3.4 auto camaro. i just got it about a 3 weeks ago. so far ive changed the plugs, wires, belt and battery. the previous owner of the car told me that the car had been sitting outside for about 4 years. i got the car to start finally and there is white smoke coming out from the exhaust. another prob i got is theres a vac line that is near the top of the intake mani that looks like a v going to diff directions. everytime i start the car that vac line pops off and start the car. the car isnt giving power like it should. the rpms only go up to about 3-4 thousands. any ideas of what i can do to fix any of the problems i got.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

white smoke could be head gaskets blown. Is the gas still real old? That might be a factor. Shoot I was told today a bad cat could suck all your power too

Old 05-08-2011, 06:29 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Could be a bad cat, bad gasoline, bad fuel filter, bad air filter, clogged injectors, water in your gas, etc... You get the picture. But white smoke, means your burning coolant. Or it could mean you just have some condensation in your exhaust system. Try letting it run for about 30-45 minutes at an idle and see if the smoke goes away or gets worse. While doing this, KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR TEMPERATURE GAUGE!!! Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Overdrive Member

Any codes, service engine soon light?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Black smoke = running rich
Blue smoke = burning oil
White smoke = penetrating oil in cylinders or coolant OR TONS of moisture as Chaotic mentioned.

Have you done a compression test to make sure there is consistency on all 6 cylinders? At the first hint of any white smoke that is the first thing I would do. I would not want to drive a car with a potentially blown head gasket, catch it early, know for sure, save yourself a headache.

If it's burning coolant you'll see it in a compression test. You want consistency across the board in a compression test. I always disconnect my fuel pump, disconnect my ignition coil plug and then open the throttle and do mine. If you get consistency on 5 of them and one of the cylinders shows very low numbers you've found your culprit.

Last edited by Corse; 05-08-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM

I hope its not a blown head gask. but the gas was really old but it had a about less than a 1/4 of it so i just filled it up with new gas. i wasnt able to take out the old gas. i havent changed the fuel filter but im going to soon. my friend told me it could also be the coil pack. any ideas on that. thank you

Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 PM

oh and about the engine light being on, it is on but i tried hooking up to the scan but it would read anything. i checked all the fuses but there all good. i was told that my cigaret lighter fuse was out and that would caus the scaner not to read the comp.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Overdrive Member

the 95 uses an OBDII plug but OBDI protocals. Check out www.shbox.com for a work around for this so you can read your codes. You need an OBDI scanner, not just one of the blinky light things.

Bad gas is bad gas and 1/4 of a tank of the stuff is not good. Get some Stabil and dump a double dose of that in there... Double Dose!. That is gonna take a while to work its way out. After a tank or 2 of new gas then change the filter and use Lucas Fuel Sytem cleaner on the engine. Get the big bottle and use 6-8 oz every fill up till you finish the bottle and that should clear any major dirty fuel system issues.

The little V tube needs to stay on the manifold. It is for a couple of the vacuum things your engine needs like the MAP and FPR so make sure that stays in place. You cant get them from your autopart store but you can make one out of a "Y" vacuum adaptor and some hose. IF that is not connected to what it needs to be connected to your engine will revv really high and also not run right due to the MAP and FPR not getting the vacuum they need.

Massey

Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM

ok massey but its doing the opposite. its not revving really high. its not revving much at all. i changed the fuel filter and the oil was litteraly watery dirt. it was overfilled with about 2 Q more than it should of had. the "'y"' vac line doesnt want to stay on there. it forces it out with air. should i by like a clamp to force it on there or is that bad.
after all ive done to the car so far it still runs like ****. doesnt idle, shuts off, white smoke( whitch there isnt really any more coming out after i did that fuel filter and oil change) and doesnt give enough rpms. i think ima just sell it.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

air pressure from a vacuum line cant be good, mudd for oil, yep sell it or its time for a good used 3.4 with low miles.

Quick Reply: not getting enough power from my v6