Noise coming from the rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Noise coming from the rear end?

So, took the RS into the shop yesterday. Got an inspection (Finally) and had them investigate some noise in the rear end. Inspection was fine, although it took all day for a replacement headlight to come in. However; they said the noise I'm hearing is the exhaust banging against the underbody of the car. Umm... No. No offense, I love these guys, they're the "Family shop". We go there all the time and they never steer us wrong (No pun intended). But the sound I'm hearing isn't a rattling. Let me explain:

After driving for a while (15-20 miles or so), and I slow down while coming up to a red light or stop sign, I'll start to hear a banging sound from the rear end. The sound is only prominent between 2-5 mph, and can be felt as well as heard. It's not a major vibration, just enough to be felt through the shifter or floorboard. The tires do not make a full rotation before the next sound is heard, so that rules out the tires or rims causing an issue. Only thing I can think of is the rear differential or a possibly bad U-joint. Anyone else experience this, or may have an idea of the cause? I'd hate for the rear axle to blow up or split in half or some stupid catastrophic event like that while on a major highway

Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

does sound like exhuast, it can hit the crossover just behind the trans. so why didnt they fix it?

Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

They aren't an exhaust shop, and if what he's saying is true, it'll most likely be remedied only by a new exhaust system. It gets louder and more prominent the longer the trip is, does that really sound like it's caused by exhaust?

Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get under there and start pushin the exhaust around and see if you can make the noise, may be something else but exhaust can make some odd noise.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll check it out Saturday, thanks. It's just very strange that it only comes up after driving 15-20+ miles, and I don't hear it when I'm putting power to the wheels. Only comes up when I'm slowing down (At that speed, it's more or less a red light or stop sign), or when I coast after taking my foot off the brake. I guess I'll check the brakes next, see if something is getting caught up or overheating somewhere. Should I also check the wheel bearings, or maybe even bother to take apart the differential and check in there?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had a similar problem with an 86 ranger I used to have. It turned out to be the exhaust rubbing the drive shaft. I know it wasn't a camaro, but maybe that helps.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

These kind of noises are very common as cars age. Rubber mounts sag and as the motor twists from torque it will rattle right at a given point. Before you start bouncing stuff around get under there are start looking for shinny spots or any other signs of bumping. I have fixed a lot of cars just by loosening up a clamp or a hanger and pushing something to one side then retightening it.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by DDRDiesel
After driving for a while (15-20 miles or so), and I slow down while coming up to a red light or stop sign, I'll start to hear a banging sound from the rear end. The sound is only prominent between 2-5 mph, and can be felt as well as heard. It's not a major vibration, just enough to be felt through the shifter or floorboard. The tires do not make a full rotation before the next sound is heard, so that rules out the tires or rims causing an issue.
A banging while creeping, and felt through the shifter and floor....guess it's possible to be exhaust related. But, if what you're getting is a rhythmic bang-bang-bang as the wheels turn, it's something to do with your transmission, driveshaft, or rearend. One thing that comes to mind is your support bearing for the two piece driveshaft could be shot. If that part of the driveshaft is clunking around, you'd certainly be feeling that at the shifter and floor. Time to explore.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
A banging while creeping, and felt through the shifter and floor....guess it's possible to be exhaust related. But, if what you're getting is a rhythmic bang-bang-bang as the wheels turn, it's something to do with your transmission, driveshaft, or rearend. One thing that comes to mind is your support bearing for the two piece driveshaft could be shot. If that part of the driveshaft is clunking around, you'd certainly be feeling that at the shifter and floor. Time to explore.
Exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks! I'm going to be as thorough as I can be tomorrow when I crawl under there. Of course, as thorough as daylight allows, that is

Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It can all depend on the sound you're hearing.
Is it a bang, clang, click, clack, tap, rap, thump, bump, or a hop, skip and a jump?
Noises all tend to sound alike when sitting on this side of the monitor!

Quick Reply: Noise coming from the rear end?