No Longer Happy With V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

Here's my question. How about all the electrical like your lights and signals for example?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
Here's my question. How about all the electrical like your lights and signals for example?
none of that is even touched as its the same on a v6 vs. v8 car. You aren't removing the entire body harness, just the engine harness. The ECU in the 6 cylinder cars is located in the same spot the v8 cars are. You're basically dropping the 6 cylinder drivetrain/engine harness out and lowering the car over a v8 cradle, engine, trans, ecu gets placed in the same spot, plug the ***** in and go.

Now you'll need a v8 car fuel pump (or walbro 255) and you'll have to swap the fuel lines from a v8 car in (due to the v8 cars running a returnless system) but outside of that, there isn't much more to it then a standard engine swap.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by masonhoban
i also feel like the difference between t tops and convertible arnt huge, especially when i paid 1k-1.5k just so the top could go down, i expect to only get 5k-5.5k for the car though as i bought it for 5500 at a dealer excluding fees and taxes of course. unfortunatly i think i would need a few thousand more for a LS1 that i deem "acceptable"
...I bought my 96 Z28 M6 with leather, t-tops, and 80k miles for $4995 at a small time dealership..... That's a tall order for a V6 auto.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cheeks
none of that is even touched as its the same on a v6 vs. v8 car. You aren't removing the entire body harness, just the engine harness. The ECU in the 6 cylinder cars is located in the same spot the v8 cars are. You're basically dropping the 6 cylinder drivetrain/engine harness out and lowering the car over a v8 cradle, engine, trans, ecu gets placed in the same spot, plug the ***** in and go.

Now you'll need a v8 car fuel pump (or walbro 255) and you'll have to swap the fuel lines from a v8 car in (due to the v8 cars running a returnless system) but outside of that, there isn't much more to it then a standard engine swap.

I didn't think it would be affected since they should all be direct power with fuses not affected by the PCM. Now this is making me think back to when I wanted to swap 350 into my car. Then I dropped that idea and I'm going with a turbo setup.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
...I bought my 96 Z28 M6 with leather, t-tops, and 80k miles for $4995 at a small time dealership..... That's a tall order for a V6 auto.
His car is 5 years newer, is a vert and probably has less miles. $5500 for that car is a pretty good deal imo

Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
His car is 5 years newer, is a vert and probably has less miles. $5500 for that car is a pretty good deal imo
yes i do believe it is a good deal and i would like to get closer to 6k if i could, im in no hurry to sell the car as i simply want an upgrade so i would be willing to wait for a deal to come to me. also it has a BRAND NEW (1-2 month old) black top and just hit 80k miles the last time i drove it. I also have leather and the tires are in decent shape. Only negatives would be minor paint fade on the nose and front left quarter panel due to spending most of its life in arizona and minor scratches and tiny dents here or there. Otherwise the car is in great shape and Ive had zero problems with it for over a year after I fixed all the electrical stuff the dealer left me with.

As for the banter about a V8 swap, its out of the question as I don't have the knowledge or even a garage to do it myself.

Last edited by masonhoban; 06-13-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ummm, sell the v6 and buy a v8 or build the 3.8 to 300hp. v6 to v8 swap is not as easy as buying a motor out of a truck and throwing it in. dont let cheeks fool you. the cost of shipping one of those motors to me is as much or more than the motor. then im buying something without seeing it or hearing it. i dont think so. then the motor may or may not need repairs and really if you have it out are you going to take a chance on the bearings and such? i know what i would do. im sure i could find more if i thought it was worth the time to research. anyways the 3.8 is a very good motor and can be made to make some respectable hp with some fairly inexpensive mods. what gears do you have now? if 273s a switch to 323 or 342s would surprise you. have you looked into insurance? thats another cost you will want to think about with the v8.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
ummm, sell the v6 and buy a v8 or build the 3.8 to 300hp. v6 to v8 swap is not as easy as buying a motor out of a truck and throwing it in. dont let cheeks fool you. the cost of shipping one of those motors to me is as much or more than the motor. then im buying something without seeing it or hearing it. i dont think so. then the motor may or may not need repairs and really if you have it out are you going to take a chance on the bearings and such? i know what i would do. im sure i could find more if i thought it was worth the time to research. anyways the 3.8 is a very good motor and can be made to make some respectable hp with some fairly inexpensive mods. what gears do you have now? if 273s a switch to 323 or 342s would surprise you. have you looked into insurance? thats another cost you will want to think about with the v8.
I have whatever the stock gears would be, as far as insurance costs assuming they are not an outrageous increase I would not have a problem paying more. I have also considered possibly getting a beater car that I could use during the winter mostly and declare as my daily driver instead of the Camaro in an attempt to decrease insurance, but I am not sure if that would really make a difference because I am a 20yr old male driving a Camaro and they will charge whatever they want as I pay an outrageous $115 a month for the minimal legal coverage, which means I also dont have glass coverage and things like that.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
haha, yes, I'm trying to persuade the young lad my telling him misleading info so I can laugh at him while he struggles?

those motors were all close to me, I can't imagine it wouldn't be any harder to find something near you, I'll look for you if you want, I come across 1000-1500 dollar drop outs every couple weeks. They're out there, you just have to make the effort to look.

Can someone answer me why this forum is so anti-v8? every person I see says, screw ls1's build your v6, it will be as fast as a stock ls1. News flash, most of the ls1's you'll run across aren't stock. Buy/Build a v8 from the start and be faster.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

I saw screw v8 put a v12 in that thing!! Now that would be a real car. Haha. They just don't like the v6-v8 swaps. I'm planning on building my 6 into a 400+ turbo monster. My Camaro is just the in-between until I can get a early 1st or 2nd gen Camaro or a new supercharged vette. I've always wanted to go carbed and blower with my 96 but it's a real tight fit.

Quick Reply: No Longer Happy With V6