No headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default No headlights

The headlights in my 94 Z28 just stopped coming on. All other lights come on and the bell rings inside when the switch is on and car is off. I'm pretty sure it's not the bulbs. The dimmer switch is working and so is everything else. Just no head lights, high or low beam. Have tail and turn signal lights.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Not sure if this is related but I just switched out a power window switch a couple days ago....

Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are going to need to get a test light out. About half the cars that show up at the shop with no headlight are because of burned out bulbs. Yes I know they will not burn out at the same time. My theory is that one head light is already burned out and the people do not know realize it. When the second one goes the notice quick.

I do think the headlight work off the BCM and of course the switch can be an issue.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Burnt out lamps
Defective light switch (separate section for headlamps)
shorted headlamp, tripping the circuit breaker in the switch
open fusible link#2 at the positive junction block atop the right shock tower

No BCM on a 94

Old 06-23-2014, 08:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Burnt out lamps
Defective light switch (separate section for headlamps)
shorted headlamp, tripping the circuit breaker in the switch
open fusible link#2 at the positive junction block atop the right shock tower

No BCM on a 94
What's the fix for the circuit breaker? I've located the fusible link block so how do you fix that?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 AM
2nd Gear member

Like Gorn said, get a test light (or multimeter). Shouldn't cost more than $5-10 at Harbor Freight. Otherwise you are doing more work than necessary.

The circuit breaker is inside the light switch and will automatically reset after it cools. Try unplugging one headlamp, wait 15 minutes and check again. Plug that one back in and repeat with the other lamp.

Defective fusible links must be replaced. Use the test light/meter to determine which one to replace, if any. Alternately, you might try wiggling one at a time while the switch is on and you are watching the lamps.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not even getting the high beam indicator to light up on the inside dash display.....I'm still learning about this car and feel like I can fix this, just need some direction regarding fusible links and circuit breakers. The wires at the positive junction block all look good, nothing burned or out of place. Which circuit breaker would it be? Checked the box under the hood and none say headlights. Ugh..

Old 06-23-2014, 08:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

fuseable link, test for voltage at both sides of the fuse. if you have same voltage on both sides its good. http://shbox.com/1/headlight_chevy_1995.jpg

Old 06-23-2014, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Checked and the switch is getting power to it but not from it. Looks like a bad switch. How difficult is it to fix that? It looks like removing console and such. What do you think?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

easy job, have to pull the dash bezel, lets see, i think the led light switch thread has a good description, brb

Quick Reply: No headlights