newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Default newbie with questions

I am new to the site, i recently bought a 1996 Camaro SS lt1, six speed, currently has flowmaster exhaust, 373 richmond gears, msd coil/digital ignition box/boush plugs & wires, hurst shifter, looking in the future to do heads/cam but in the meantime, im looking for an suggestions on cheaper performance parts that show decent results, any advise would be greatly appreciated. also, i seem to be having a hard time finding used performance parts, could someone give me some sites to go to, im on a limited budget at the moment lol. last question, i put the msd ignition box in the other day, set the limiter for 5500rpm, what is the highest rpm i could set it at safely, thank you in advanced

Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Overdrive Member

before doing heads and cam,you will want to look into getting a cold air induction along with full exjaust(headers and cat back)

Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Overdrive Member

With the SS intake he's probably doesn't need to get an aftermarket CAI, they stock SS one does ok. I agree with Ali, you need headers and a new Y-pipe before you should be thinking about internals.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 PM

could anyone recommend decent sites to get parts from, perfer used for good prices? thank you.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Everyone prefers used parts, in good condition, for amazing prices. Unfortunately many times that's not attainable. If that's what you're looking for you're going to have to keep your eye on ebay, craigslist and forums...

Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

yeah i agree with these guys. headers and a y pipe, then we talk heads and cam. i don't want to rep other forums though for the cheaper parts

Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 PM

i hate going to cheap way out im just going to need all the money i can get, im laid off work night now, im having a terrible time on craigslist and ebay. ebays always new stuff unless theres a used section im not seeing. anyone recommend good trustworthy fourms for parts? ive only been on this one and camaroz28.com

Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Overdrive Member

Sorry man, I'm not going to plug other forums, especially since I'm staff here.

That said...not to hit you in the face with a brick of reality, but if you're laid off of work right now probably isn't the choice time to be modifying your car...

Old 03-23-2009, 03:34 AM

alright man thanks anyways, just doing what i can for now, still collecting some money. if anyone else could help, id appreciate it. thank you

Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 AM

i am getting a set of BBK Shortie headers/y pipe off a friend for $250, are those good headers? (trying to figure out if it will help my tone sound as well) also if anyone else "thats not staff" could help me find used performance parts for cheap prices on line, im game. i dont by any means mean to be rude, but im asking for advise not what times right for me to purchase parts. for instance im paying $250 instead of $600 for headers means they are used. thank you.

Quick Reply: newbie with questions