New zl1 OR Fix up 02

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You all inspire me! :P But in order to get the zl1 I would have to sell the b4c. If I could have both I would. But I just feel like the 02 cars, at least on the inside, just aren't put together well, all plastic and not even connected well; and that the new camaros are just better put together. That and all the extra stuff on the new cars like heated seats, bluetooth, independent rear suspension, heads up display, usb for ipods, cadi suspension. Am I missing anything? lol

Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

i think the newer camaros are still plastic on the inside last I sat in one. I could be wrong

Old 05-09-2011, 01:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, all cars are technically plastic... I guess some are like fiber or such, but for the most part plastic I believe. But what I meant I guess was the quality of those plastics. Up to the 02 it is all just thin cheap plastic with thin metal clips and whatnot attaching everything. When I test drove a new one.... it just seemed sturdier and better quality.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Overdrive Member

I would go ZL1 all the way.

As for heated seats, easy 4th Gen retrofit, similar with the rear -- a Watts Link is the next best thing to an IRS, Koni SAs are pretty darn good too, weld some SFRs and you will improve that sturdiness...

Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would buy an LS or LT1 V6 for a daily driver and keep the B4C and fix it up. You would still spend less than buying the zl1. No way I would buy a zl1as it is essentially a $24,000 car with $24,000 of options on it.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Overdrive Member

^ Except that the car is over 33% upgraded from the SS.

That's a lot of "options":

General Overview:
CAMARO ZL1 will be the most powerful and highest performing production CAMARO in history
Performance data will be given around the summer of 2011
Testing venues include: Nurburgring, extensive Autobahn testing, VIR track testing, Spring Mountain, Beaver Run, Milford and Yuma Proving Grounds
A deliberate effort was made to control mass (i.e. wheels/tires are 22 pounds less than those on SS)
1/3 of the SS was upgraded for ZL1
Look for some "purposeful features" in the DIC and HUD
Hours of actual wind tunnel-testing for various exterior aero' components net downforce
The Ford Mustang Cobra GT500 is the primary competitor - anything with 550 horsepower is also a consideration
ZL1 content builds on 2SS package
Team CAMARO continues to look into configurations
Built on the same production line as SS/LT/LS & convertible
Color palette to be the same as the rest of the models
Automatic tranny and convertible are being considered based off input from customers
CAMARO Facebook listed as a great place for input

Drivetrain and Performance:
A minimum of 550 horsepower and 550 foot pounds of torque
6.2L supercharged V8 LSA engine from CTS-V, with minor changes specific to ZL1
Eaton TVS 1900 rotors with unique black upper plenum with ribbing for noise control and cowl clearance
Cast stainless steel exhaust manifolds for enhanced thermal management
Active exhaust (with dual modes - similar to Corvette ZR1 & Z06)
Upgraded TR6060 6 speed manual transmission (MG9) with dual-mass flywheel, twin-disc clutch & factory short throw shifter with improvements to efforts and gates
Supplemental coolers in-place for high performance and track driving (including a differential cooler)
Larger lower front grille opening contributes to aid cooling, work with the hood extractors to increase downforce, and house integrated front brake cooling ducts
Upgraded driveshaft
Upgraded limited-slip differential, iron housing, and axle shafts (patent pending)
3.73 rear gear ratio
52/48 weight distribution
7mm lower ride height than SS
Next Generation Dual-Mode (Touring and Sport) Magnetic Ride Control Suspension (MR) introduced on ZL1 (a generation after current MR on ZR1/CTS-V)
Redesigned rear stabilizer bars now have drop links placed on the outside-end of the control arms for "crisper" control
Variable ratio Electric Power Steering (EPS), next generation
Brembo brakes - Front : 6-piston 14.6" 2 piece rotors / Rear: 4-piston 14.4" rotors
Light weight forged aluminum wheels - F: 20"x10" / R: 20"x11"
Goodyear Supercar F1 G2 tires - F: 285/30/20 / R: 305/35/20 (specific to ZL1)
Functional front lower splitter and underbody tray
Front fender wheel opening and rear facia air deflectors manage air flow around the wheels and tires

Appearance Details:
ZL1 badging on grille, hood, brake calipers, decklid, instrument panel, headrests, and sill plates
HID headlamps
Functional front bumper facia with upper DRLs and lower projector HID fog lamps
FUNCTIONAL raised vented-aluminum hood with a carbon fiber air extractor "Mowhawk"
Functional rocker extensions that aid in managing air-flow and deflect stones thrown off the front tires
Functional rear spoiler works in conjunction with the front splitter
Functional rear diffuser
Black center stripe will be optional
Quad stainless steel exhaust tips

Interior Details:
ZL1 logo stitched into headrests
Standard interior is black and lined in leather
Optional micro-fiber suede accents in seats, dashboard, steering wheel, and shifter (similar to CTS-V)
Alloy pedals make heal-and-toe shifting easier
Dual 6-way power front seats
Door and dash inserts are Carbon Flash with Red accent lighting
New steering wheel that's smaller in diameter and has a flat bottom
Premium Boston Accoustics audio system
ZL1-specific door sill plates
Parking Assist
Rear camera in rearview mirror
DIC/HUD will include helpful additions including boost pressure
4-Pack now includes a boost guage
Wireless PDIM and USB-port

Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would have to say that it seems like more that 10k worth of extras from the ss.... even though you only pay that much more. I mean a charger alone is a couple grand!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:11 PM
2nd Gear member

As cool as the ZL1 is, I won't buy a 5th Generation or any other GM or Chrysler vehicle. Not while the Guvment owns any shares of either company.

And this is from a life-long Chevy owner with three in the driveway now.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

?? what? you afraid that they will take it back from you? lol. Or do you mean that I am just buying a car and basically giving the money to the government? Because Last I had heard, GM had repaid all their debts already. So I am not too worried about it.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

Hmm, Grandpaswagon makes a stellar point here... We The People have been SCREWED by the government's involvement (legalized theft) in companies.

But where do you draw the line on which companies not to patronize? Government is spending our money on subsidies and bailouts in so many different industries, it makes ones head boggle! (Boeing, Xerox, IBM, Motorola, Dow Chemical, General Electric, and others have received millions in taxpayer-funded benefits...)

The Corporate Welfare State: How the Federal Government Subsidizes U.S. Businesses
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa592.pdf

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
As cool as the ZL1 is, I won't buy a 5th Generation or any other GM or Chrysler vehicle. Not while the Guvment owns any shares of either company.

And this is from a life-long Chevy owner with three in the driveway now.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-09-2011 at 05:16 PM.