New to Site picked up 3rd Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Default New to Site picked up 3rd Camaro

Thought I'd introduce my self. I'm Jeremy I'm new to the site Just picked up a 94 Z28 Camaro, 6 speed, T-tops. It was a barn find. Found the car thru a friend of a friend. Car has been sitting for 3-4years under a thick layer of dust and misc garage crap.
Previous Owner said that the motor was replaced with a 97 LT1, LT4 hot cam, new gaskets, 1.6 Roller rockers, MAC headers, SLP exhaust and more but I need to figure that out. Said he put 20,000 miles on the motor that's in the car now. Said that the Optispark quit and he parked it.
It has some rust under the fuel door I hope to take car of. Car needs a good cleaning. I'll try and get some pics up soon.
I had 2 3rd gen Camaros in the early 90's and I used to be in halves owners of the old mustang-camaro.com website if anyone remembers that from way back then.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Congrats on the find. 6 speed FTW!

Pump that old gas out of there before trying to start it.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Optis dying is not uncommon. Do your self a HUGE favor and buy a NEW one not a rebuilt and then get a NEW water pump not a rebuilt. They do cost a few $$ more but for what it is it is worth it. The main cause of Opti death is a leaking water pump. They like to **** coolant out of the drive in the rear and that is right below the opti. Water and optical electronics dont mix well.

Massey

Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

welcome to the forum. have look at 23 here, may help. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...rt-here-38462/

Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the info!
I ended up pumping out the old fuel, changed the oil, sprayed some wd40 in the cylinders and installed a new battery. Car fired right up. It runs really rough. Pops under acceleration which is probably the optispark. Trying to find a vaccum leak because it idles at 1500 rpm.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

THE main cause of optispark failure is because it's a pain to get to and it never gets serviced until it goes bad from age and wear. Imagine an engine with an easily accessible distributor like mine never getting a full "tune up" (including the cap & rotor). It would be running like crap at and/or well before 100k miles too.
Is your check engine light on? From the sounds of it, your issue is very likely to be your opti. When mine was bad, I had a fast idle as well. Because of the misfire it caused, one or more cylinders were running rich, and the O2 sensors were trying to have the air/fuel mixture compensate for it, which it couldn't.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
THE main cause of optispark failure is because it's a pain to get to and it never gets serviced until it goes bad from age and wear. Imagine an engine with an easily accessible distributor like mine never getting a full "tune up" (including the cap & rotor). It would be running like crap at and/or well before 100k miles too.
Is your check engine light on? From the sounds of it, your issue is very likely to be your opti. When mine was bad, I had a fast idle as well. Because of the misfire it caused, one or more cylinders were running rich, and the O2 sensors were trying to have the air/fuel mixture compensate for it, which it couldn't.
No check engine light . Friend of mine gave me a cap and rotor the he had that was new in the box from Delco. Wasn't sure if I should try that first or just put a whole opti in. Hate to tear it down only to find that I need to replace everything.
Fast idle makes sense because of the misfire.
Also I got a OBD cable set with the car but he couldn't find the software. Any recommendations?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Because of the work involved to get to the opti, it's much smarter to just replace the whole thing. Sure, you might be fine with a new cap and rotor, and cleaning the optics inside (another cause of opti misfire), but the shaft bearings could be shot or on their way out. The engine supposedly has 20k miles, but was the opti replaced with a new one, or was the old one reused?

Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 AM

The previous owner said that he relaxed the opti when he replaced the motor. I'll just put a new opti in and waterpump and call it a day.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Replaced* not relaxed. Damn spell check.

Quick Reply: New to Site picked up 3rd Camaro