New owner, looking for advice

Old 01-21-2019, 12:08 AM
Default New owner, looking for advice

I recently bought a ‘96 Convertible V6, and it’s got a few quirky things I need to fix and would like some advice on.

1. The key was broken off in the ignition. The seller included an extra steering wheel with a cylinder and key, but the car has PASSKEY. Is there any chance of using that cylinder and key other than getting lucky with two similar resistance keys?

2. The seller also replaced the passenger door at some point. They included the original door with the car. Can I salvage the lock from the original door? I don’t have the key for the one that’s currently in there.

3. What are some easy and inexpensive performance mods that can be done to gen 4? Most videos out there are for gen 5.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:42 PM

I don't know about replacing the ignition lock cylinder, will try to see if I can find anything in the service manual.

You should be able to change the door lock cylinder. It's held to the door with a simple U shaped spring clip. Getting the door panel off is probably the hardest part. I managed to break one of the plastic retainers off mine recently. Panel needs to move up before coming away from door. Here are some pics of cylinder and clip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/93-01-Camar...paG:rk:20:pf:0

Old 01-22-2019, 07:54 PM

Mark, thank you for your reply. I got the door lock changed successfully. I didn’t mention this as I looked this up before I bought the car, but I have a fuel pump coming in tomorrow. Hopefully I can find out the cylinder lock soon and have a Camaro on the road!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you have a second key that came with the car? You can read the resistance off that and get a key made that will fit your cylinder and work with the resistance your car needs.

You want to check out the stick in the V6 forum with the Start here. There is a List of mods. The best mod I did to my 96 is the headers. The stock manifolds are pretty restrictive. GM changed the design in 99 to make them better.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:11 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Got the fuel pump in or put a new battery in and got her started up today… It’s not a perfect smooth ride though… The engine runs hot and it stalls out if my foot is not on the gas pedal. I have not put the hose clamps back on the intake manifold, could this be the issue? Just want to make sure that there is not another issue. Thank you guys

Old 01-27-2019, 04:26 PM

Guessing you have another issue to sort out. How long does it take to get too hot?

Coolant level OK?

Fan kicking on?

Old 01-27-2019, 04:56 PM

Any chance of digging the broken key out with a fine pair of needle nose pliers or a couple of thin pointed tools like scribers?

I couldn't find any specific information in the service manual for changing the cylinder. There's an entry that says replacement cylinders are available for all locks except ignition.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:30 PM

Well it would be a shame if I can’t replace that cylinder. If anyone is familiar with a locksmith in central Fla. that will copy broken keys, please let me know. For now I’m disconnecting the battery every time I turn the vehicle off (after the fans stop running).

Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Of course the cylinder can be replaced. Its not super hard but the process is very unforgiving and you need a steering wheel puller.

The resister in the key stays with the car. So you need to know what resister you have on your key. As I said above If you have an extra key you can measure the resistance. Then have a key made for your cylinder that has the resister your car needs

Old 02-03-2019, 04:52 PM
4th Gear Member

Could he unplug the connector having two thin white wires and measure resistance into the column?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner, looking for advice