New and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Default New and need some help

Hey, I'm actually a Buick guy who is trying to help a bud who doesn't have a computer.

He just got a really solid 94 Z28 dropped off at his place..brother in-law is moving away. It is in amazing shape and best yet has a crate engine to be put in.

I need to find out first on where do I decode the vin for these cars and second I need help to determine what crate engine he has. It has the Pink dab of paint on the head and a bar code sticker.....also the casting looks like 327?

I would love some direction on where I may find some info for him....

I'm into '50s Buicks and tried to google around but my experience tells me to hit the forums for the best info from the dedicated brand followers.

Thanks....

Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Does the crate engine have the distributer on the front behind a cam driven water pump or is it in the old standard location at the back of the intake?
If it's in front it's an LT1 350 which is what came in all '93-'97 Z28's.
If not what you have could be a number of different engines,305,350,400?
None of these gen 1 type engines will be a bolt in affair for the '94 Z28.
Being a crate engine it may be harder to identify,do you know the make and or if it's a rebuilt GM engine or a new engine?
If it's an LT1 it must be a rebuild,I don't think they come in new crate engines.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealthbob
also the casting looks like 327?
If it's a Chevy block there will be numbers at the back of the block on top,one side is block casting #'s the other date codes.
302,327,350 are all the same block number in many cases,4" bore with different strokes.
Codes here....... http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php

Old 12-05-2009, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the reply...

I will check on your questions.

I know nothing of these engines and he kept saying that its a "Pink" (Pink STL) engine or heads? It did have some pink paint mark on the head. I do believe it is a GM build from the casting a sit has the emblem?

Anyways...the bar code sticker is on the block. Any chance that has the build info? Any chance it could be decoded like a vin?

Edit due to I missed Y2K's post.

The casting numbers look very different, the clock casting also was not there. It had a large 327 on the side though?

The end had something like 57L0 801

I think it may be best I get pictures for you guys...

Last edited by stealthbob; 12-05-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Looks like it may well be an LT1,I found some info on another forum and apparently LT1 motors have the numbers 327 embossed in the side of the block

There is a smaller version of this motor used in the Caprice and other cars but's it's got iron heads and is only 267cid not 350.
This pic was posted as a way to ID which engine block is the LT1350.
Both motors have the distributor (called an Optispark) located on the front of the block with the cam driven water pump distinguishing them from the old standard small block Chevy with the belt drive water pump and the distributor mounted at the top of the engine on the back of the intake manifold.

Standard smallblock Chevy.

Last edited by Y2K; 12-08-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Nice...thank you very much for that!

As usual its dedicated car guys that selflessly offer this kind of help....

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealthbob
Nice...thank you very much for that!

As usual its dedicated car guys that selflessly offer this kind of help....

Thanks!
Sure thing and good luck with it.