New to muscle cars - 1998 Camaro Z28 - Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
why???

I'd defy you to find issues with my 95 with almost 200k miles on the body.

If he finds that the clutch has been replaced within the past 40k miles and the tranny is in good shape then he might be looking at $3k motor work in the next year or so

If he gets the car for the high price of $3k, tosses in brakes and tires then in a year or so he's have about $6500 into a car with a refreshed engine and what looks like good paint/body/interior

We could never recover the money we have in the 95 but there's no need. It's all rebuilt and repainted this year. But again, almost 200k miles on the body
You make good points, but I have no interest in doing an engine swap or any other major engine work in a 4th gen, although I'd enjoy the benefits of a H/C/I job.

I bought my '94 Z with 114k miles for just over $3k.

Plus I drive the snot out of my vehicles.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Like said, don't rush into buying one.. There is ton's. I'll probably put my z up for sell at around $3k this summer, 4k if i replace the windshield and paint it like i planned. I just say that to show their out there. (of course mines not the LS).

Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 2Z's
Hi,
I must say I like your diligence in finding the right car. From the cars I have seen you post, I like the T/A best myself. I like the LS engine quite a bit. I own a 2002 Z06 with an LS6 and its a great engine.

Now, on the T/A, the headers shouldnt be "hitting" anything. Im not exactly sure why but I would maybe suspect motor mounts or a bad trans mount perhaps... It looks like one header is rusted badly, but the other is not at all... am I seeing that correctly?

If you have the money I would stick with looking for an LS car. The 3rd generation SBC engine is a great power plant and responds well to modifications. If you get serious about a particular car, take the next step and pay a few bucks to have a mechanics inspection done where you can get the car up on a lift and give it some closer scrutiny.

At any rate, be patient, there are literally hundreds of F bodys for sale and you will eventually find the "right" car for the "right" money.

Good Luck to You!!
Thank you 2Z! I am just trying to find the right car for my budget. I like both Camaro's and Trans Am's. They each have they own uniqueness/style that appeals to me.

Yes you are correct. The passenger side header is in good condition, where as the driver side one is rusted.

I spoke to the owner of the TA last night. Let me know what you think.

Here is what I said:

"Thanks for letting me come out last night and see the vehicle. After talking it over with my wife we both like the vehicle. However, $5300 is a little too high with a few issues.

1. I will need to get the car tuned for the check engine light due to the O2 sensor. It will be at least $150.

2. I will need to get the security light check and fixed, which is around $150 +.

3. The driver side header is really rusted bad. Typically, the headers rust together, so it seems the passenger one was put on at a later time (maybe because it was rusted bad?) To have the header cleaned will cost $200+ or I may have to replace it (if so around $400-$500) Also, the y-pipe/exhaust is rusted.

4. There is no paperwork for the engine/tranny. I know that is not your fault, but right now we are going on hearsay that is has been rebuilt.

I have $4800 cash I will give you for the car. After I fix those issues I will be well above $5500."

Here is his response:

"Yea i know it needs a few more things so ill come down to $5000, im coming down $700 off my asking price, its only $200 more than your offer, i think thats a very fair price"

He said he knows it needs a few more things....do you think there is something else he may not be mentioning or is he just stating he knows there is some work that needs to be done?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear member

I dunno. I like the way the T/A looks, but I dont like the fact he bought it to "fix up"... in my opinion a car purchased to flip, is fixed just well enough to get by. The header issue like I said, could be motor or trans mount. Dont disregard thats happening. Also, why would anyone replace one header and not the other? Not feeling the "no paperwork" thing either.

If it were me, I would keep searching. I think you can do better than what you are finding. Now, this is just me, but I like finding a car as close to stock as possible, with as few owners as possible and with as much paperwork (ie: receipts)... and with as little rust as possible. I have no problem with modded cars if the mods were thoughtfully done and have receipts to back them up.

Also, just my opinion, but a manual transmission is way more fun than one with a slush box... Be patient, look for a better car. $5000. should get you a nice vehicle with little to no problems.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

I bought my 94Z, M6 with 172k on the clock for just at $3000. It was in my budget plus I had also budgeted for fixing some things if needed to make it road worthy. It is my daily driver (50+ miles a day). I am at 197k now. I have replaced the opti, waterpump, plugs, wires, egr, front ball joints, steering rack, inner/outer tie rods, rear shocks, sway bar links and bushings. The motor runs well, with an occasional hickup here and there, but overall is very reliable. I have some lifter noise on startups and the ever-present oil drips. I will eventually rebuild it, but for now a content on driving her every day. She is a blast to drive with the M6. You just have to know your limits on repairs and be willing to put some money into it sooner or later regardless of miles cause, after all, your looking at 10+ year old vehicles. You also have to figure in "specialized" tools/equipment to work on it yourself, for example, mine is the b@stard year where jumping the pins on the OBD connector does not work to get codes, also an OBD2 code scanner wont work and most OBD1 scanners dont work. Had to spend @$150 for a scanner that would actually work on a 94 GM vehicle. But that paid for itself the first time I used it to correct the cause for an checkk engine light.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay, thank you. I will tell the guy no on the TA.

I received a call from the dealer and he sold the 98 Camaro this morning.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

If I had to do it again, I would have saved a little more and got an LS1 instead of the LT1. But I just can't bring myself to like the catfish look of those cars.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

Unless I missed it previously, what is your budget? That T/A was a mess, no paperwork, unfinished work, mismatched parts, high miles and he still wants $5k? Thats funny of him.

Like I said before though, for closer to $7k you can find LS1 cars with under 100k. And modded isn't better, modded brings the price way down, especially if the guy selling it did none of the work and has zero paperwork. You don't want someone else's headache.

Where are you located?

Cars for Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS in Pomona, CA 91768: Coupe Details - 312895520 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe in Downers Grove, IL 60515: Coupe Details - 332949814 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe in CHANTILLY, VA 20152: Coupe Details - 335531539 - AutoTrader.com

All of these are under 100k miles, and around or below 7-7500. Do note that I just did a 20 second search on autotrader, so where these cars are I don't really know. But there were quite a few more listings too

Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If I had to do it again, I would have saved a little more and got an LS1 instead of the LT1. But I just can't bring myself to like the catfish look of those cars.
believe it or not, that's why I bought the 95

Although, there's a white catfish SS around here and with the silver rims, it looks OK.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure there is a way top graft the earlier 4th gen nose on one of those.

Quick Reply: New to muscle cars - 1998 Camaro Z28 - Should I buy?