New Member Needs Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Default New Member Needs Help!

Hello,

I am looking at 2 1995 Camaros for sale in my area, both with their own pros and cons, I need some advice on which one to go with based on the different prices and problems they have.

Camaro 1: $1000, T top 160k miles, transmission is a bit rough has some trouble shifting at higher RPMs, needs new shocks and brakes. everything else seems to be fine.

Camaro 2: $1400 Hard top 143k miles, transmission and engine seem to be strong, but the ignition wont stay forward it took the guy a lot of attempts to get the key to stay forward for the car to stay on, he finally got it to stay on first thing i notice was a bit of white then dark smoke and a bit of liquid spray out of the exhaust then went normal after a few seconds. During the test drive, the car ran great untill i turned on the AC then the car shut off and we rolled to a stop. We could not get the ignition to stay forward in the on position anymore and had to hold the key in place to drive it back. I noticed the key had a cadillac logo on it which was odd to me.. lastly, there was a tube that comes out of the intake tube that is supposed to connect to what looks like the top of the engine that was not connected, not sure what it was but it was just hanging out by the hole it was supposed to be connected to.

I really need a set of wheels to get around and i really like the 4th gen camaro and dont mind spending a bit extra to fix any issues, so my question is what car seems more worth buying and fixing(if any)? Any attional information on the problems and possible costs associated with fixing them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Sam

Old 12-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
4th Gear Member

$1,000 cars are crap shoots. If you need transportation and only have $2,000 or less to spend then look for less desirable vehicles like Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Saturn, Plymouth or Pontiac etc.

The trick is to go after discontinued brands and with respect to Buick, unless you're 100 years old who really wants one?

They don't sell quickly and sellers just want to dump them.

Also, brands like Buick and Oldsmobile would have been owned by elderly drivers and they tend to maintain their vehicles and not beat on them

Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
$1,000 cars are crap shoots. If you need transportation and only have $2,000 or less to spend then look for less desirable vehicles like Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Saturn, Plymouth or Pontiac etc.

The trick is to go after discontinued brands and with respect to Buick, unless you're 100 years old who really wants one?

They don't sell quickly and sellers just want to dump them.

Also, brands like Buick and Oldsmobile would have been owned by elderly drivers and they tend to maintain their vehicles and not beat on them
buicks are the absolute best cars ive ever owned... just my .02 cents

Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 PM

I have nagotiated the prices that low because of the fact that i know cars with problems is basically a crap shoot, anyone have any other advice to give in regards to the two cars and the problems they present?

Anyone have an opinion on the ignition issue? or any other input besides to just buy a buick, because to be honest id rather have a camaro with some issues than a buick(that will most likely end up having issues also)

Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SamB
I have nagotiated the prices that low because of the fact that i know cars with problems is basically a crap shoot, anyone have any other advice to give in regards to the two cars and the problems they present?

Anyone have an opinion on the ignition issue? or any other input besides to just buy a buick, because to be honest id rather have a camaro with some issues than a buick(that will most likely end up having issues also)
it would all be speculation. Is it the ignition cylinder or is there something jammed/broken inside. Dunno until i open the thing

you wanted advice and you got it. You're asking about $1,000 cars and went on to say that you need wheels. I naturally told you how to get the most vehicle from your small budget. You'll have to understand that my replies in this forum come from the perspective of needs vs wants.

If you are ready to potentially sink some good money and time into fixing either of those vehicles then either one would be a choice.

Because they are cheap cars, just get the one with the best brakes and tires and the least amount of interior tears and exterior rust. Toss in some new plugs and wires, a new fuel filter and flush the coolant and change the oil. Cross your fingers and live with the quirks.

They are also sixers so if the engine is on the way out, you aren't going to fix it, you're going to replace it with a used one.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
buicks are the absolute best cars ive ever owned... just my .02 cents
I didn't say they were not reliable, but the demographic studies clearly show the avg buyer's age. Because they are not desirable is why you can steal them in private sales because they tend to be older drivers giving up the car because their kids are making the parent give up their license. And, the kid wouldn't be caught dead in a Buick so they sell it.

If you don't care what the car is, and just want the best bang for your minimal dollars, then Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn and even Plymouth can get you there.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if one has a 3.8 then that would be the one to look at the closest. a good 3.4 used engine is not so easy to find.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by craby
if one has a 3.8 then that would be the one to look at the closest. a good 3.4 used engine is not so easy to find.
Fwd 3400 engines are a dime a dozen, just gotta swap over a couple parts like the intakes and the accessories.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats not how i understand it, they quit making the 3.4 in 95 and the front wheel drive has a different block. 3.8 was made till 08 or 09 and front wheel drive will work if you change intake and all sensors. series 3 3.8 started in 04 and will give you 15 or 20 extra hp.

Quick Reply: New Member Needs Help!