New issue - dying

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Default New issue - dying

Well... I have had my 98 for a little more than 2 weeks so must have been due for my 3rd "major" issue.

I went to go to the store just now. Started up as usual then died. Started again as usual and died. Within a second or so of starting. I was able to keep it running by holding the idle at 1k. It wouldn't hold it on its own.

After holding it until it was all warmed up it still died. Tried a few more times of holding it at idle then letting off the gas, died. Then it finally caught itself.

Drove around for a bit. Shut it off. Restarted, its fine now. GREAT. The best problems are the ones that don't repeat itself. I just hope it gave a code for me to have checked tomorrow. My CEL is burnt out so I don't know if that is "on" or not.

Anyone had this issue? I don't believe this is related to my last issue. Which was wiring harness on back of ignition modules loose causing no start. That hasnt happened since. Wouldn't have anything to do with it holding idle.

Is this common? Solution?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:15 AM

Did it happen to rain a lot before this issue occurred? I had this happen in my 2000 S-10 ended up being I had a bad relay that was getting moisture in it when it rained out and it would do the exact same thing. It happened awhile ago, I will have to look back to see which one it was.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM

No rain... I had taken it through a carwash that day or the day before though

Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM

checked for codes. cat low efficiency. cant be anything to do with idle though. i just passed emissions so i dont care about that.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bbowl
checked for codes. cat low efficiency. cant be anything to do with idle though. i just passed emissions so i dont care about that.
maybe that's right.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 PM

ok its been hot as hell here for 3 days no rain. did it again today after i had driven for 15 minutes or so. i then shut it off, went into store and it did it when i went to leave. only took a minute or 2 for it to start holding idle this time though.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 PM

is it possible this could be the idle control valve? anyone know where its located and is this cleanable or servicable in some way or should i replace it? or am i barking up the wrong tree with that all together

Old 07-09-2010, 12:42 AM

pulled the maf and the TPS and what i believe to be the idle control valve. sprayed them all with maf cleaner... we'll see what it does now

Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the chip in your key is bad this will happen. Mine did this. If your resistor in the key OR the wires that it connects to break or go bad, it'll shut off the fuel pump for security reasons and your car will sputter and die. Those wires get old and worn out and loosen up or break. if its just loose you can usually jiggle the steering wheel to get a good connection. This doesn't permanently fix it tho. Also could be your crank sensor. Does the security light come on when it dies? and does it sputter to a die or does it just shut off as if you're turning off the key?

Last edited by Chaotic94; 07-09-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:24 AM

ok like i said it is the idle just not happening. I can keep the car running no problem as long as i hold down on the gas enough, let off the gas it dies. so this can not be a security or fuel pump issue.

Quick Reply: New issue - dying