New Here with a few small problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default New Here with a few small problems.

I recently got a silver 96 Z28 from an ill respected lot here in town. I was originally going to them for a 97 red trans am t top but after 4 months of "working on it" they gave up n found me this car n i was desperate so i took it. Love it though. My only real gripe is i miss the t tops. Anyway naturally being a used car it came with some problems. I have them mostly figured out except i have this strange intermittent engine problem. Every few days the car will b hard to start and will idle low. Ill go to drive it and it'll have no power and either stall immediately or it'll start to rev itself up and figure itself out til it runs perfectly fine. Well except for a slight misfire. Im thinking its fuel related because up into the higher rpms it isn't as powerful as the trans am. I know for sure the trans am had a higher rear end ratio but the rest was stock. It looks like someone ran put a 3in catback on it with no mufflers but that seems to b the only modification to the car. I really would like to get thus fixed quickly cuz the car is under warranty and my service date is for the 12 so i was hoping maybe someone here had any good guesses on what's going on. Most of the time she starts right up n acts like she's supposed to. Mad i Cant scan it for codes cuz the spot where the aux power fuse is supposed to go looks like it was fried...

Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could be one or more of several things. you really need to get it scanned for codes. could be egr, evap, maf, tps, coil, plug wire/s, 02 sensor/s and im sure more that i cant think of.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

Craby is laying down some information there. Let us know what you find out.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=cjgordon117;643541]I recently got a silver 96 Z28 from an ill respected lot here in town. I was originally going to them for a 97 red trans am t top but after 4 months of "working on it" they gave up n found me this car n i was desperate so i took it. Love it though. My only real gripe is i miss the t tops. Anyway naturally being a used car it came with some problems. I have them mostly figured out except i have this strange intermittent engine problem. Every few days the car will b hard to start and will idle low. Ill go to drive it and it'll have no power and either stall immediately or it'll start to rev itself up and figure itself out til it runs perfectly fine. Well except for a slight misfire. Im thinking its fuel related because up into the higher rpms it isn't as powerful as the trans am. I know for sure the trans am had a higher rear end ratio but the rest was stock. It looks like someone ran put a 3in catback on it with no mufflers but that seems to b the only modification to the car. I really would like to get thus fixed quickly cuz the car is under warranty and my service date is for the 12 so i was hoping maybe someone here had any good guesses on what's going on. Most of the time she starts right up n acts like she's supposed to. Mad i Cant scan it for codes cuz the spot where the aux power fuse is supposed to go looks like it was fried...[/QUOTE]

Don't undrstand this statement. what does the aux power fuse have to do with the OBD connector used to hook a code scanner to?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

the aux power (cigarette lighter) also powers the obdII port

Old 09-07-2012, 04:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ah yes.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I was checking for vacuum leaks and took the intake apart for cleaning and it has t done it since. Im thinking about running some seafoam in it to see if that helps at all. Im at work right now so I'll try switching a fuse n scanning n she what happens...

Old 09-07-2012, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Make sure and keep us updated.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 PM

i had an issue like this one recently with my 97 v6. hard to start, ruff idle, revs high after start, and sluggish power at higher RPMs.. i replaced the fuel pump and it works fine now. If you plan to replace the fuel pump, go through the top, its a bit of cutting and fabricating to close it up, but is easier than dropping the rear end from the car. it might not be whats wrong with yours, but it gives you an idea.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear member

U must check the voltage going to the starter. Check ground

Quick Reply: New Here with a few small problems.