New guy, not new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Default New guy, not new Camaro

Hey,
I just found this forum while searching for some info on my new project.
I just bought a '95 3.4 v6 Camaro. It's 5 speed, about as base as it gets, with manual windows and locks, and 140k miles. It's a one owner car, and I think that once she signed the paperwork, she stopped caring about it, because it's ROUGH. It wouldn't be a project if it was immaculate thought, right?

Anyway, the front bumper cover is cracked, and the hood had some hood pins drilled into it, so I want to replace them both. I've got a line on front and rear bumpers, headlights, tail lights and hood from a 2000, but i'm not sure if they're plug and play, or if I'd be getting into more than I should if I attempted that swap.

Any other issues I should concern myself with? I've got a friend who begged me not to buy a 3.4 because they eat head gaskets like crazy, but I got a good deal, and I had a 3.4 Impala that never so much as thought about leaking, so i'm not sure how accurate that is.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:09 PM
2nd Gear member

It's not worth it to do a front end swap on a 95 3.4, IMO.. Or to rebuild it. Just 1 opinion tho'!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM

So then, should I just drive it, see if I like camaros, and if so, get a better one?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by jnb0111
Hey,
I just found this forum while searching for some info on my new project.
I just bought a '95 3.4 v6 Camaro. It's 5 speed, about as base as it gets, with manual windows and locks, and 140k miles. It's a one owner car, and I think that once she signed the paperwork, she stopped caring about it, because it's ROUGH. It wouldn't be a project if it was immaculate thought, right?

Anyway, the front bumper cover is cracked, and the hood had some hood pins drilled into it, so I want to replace them both. I've got a line on front and rear bumpers, headlights, tail lights and hood from a 2000, but i'm not sure if they're plug and play, or if I'd be getting into more than I should if I attempted that swap.

Any other issues I should concern myself with? I've got a friend who begged me not to buy a 3.4 because they eat head gaskets like crazy, but I got a good deal, and I had a 3.4 Impala that never so much as thought about leaking, so i'm not sure how accurate that is.
This is a different design 3.4 then your impala, head gaskets are pretty common but that does not mean your are bad. You need the whole front clip on off the 2000 to make it work as the 98 up have a different design front end.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear member

I say fix up the front end but not swap it.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep 4th gens have two styles. yours is 93-97. welllll depends on what kind of project your talking about. it would be fine to learn on and with but dont do it if your thinking about putting a v8 or even a 3.8 in it or think you can make money by fixing it. not saying dont do it just saying look at what you want to do and why. then think about it, do some research on costs then decide.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by craby
yep 4th gens have two styles. yours is 93-97. welllll depends on what kind of project your talking about. it would be fine to learn on and with but dont do it if your thinking about putting a v8 or even a 3.8 in it or think you can make money by fixing it. not saying dont do it just saying look at what you want to do and why. then think about it, do some research on costs then decide.
I know it'll be hard to make money on it, even though I only paid $250 for it. more than likely, it'll just be a clean it up, maybe get it painted, and then just drive it til I can find something else, either another Camaro with an ls1 or something totally different if I decide I don't like it.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how about some pictures.

Last edited by craby; 07-25-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear member

$250 for a running car and it's a Camaro?! Where can I find these?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
$250 for a running car and it's a Camaro?! Where can I find these?

Yup. And a clear title, too. On top of that, I had my daughter while my gf was at work, so the people drove it over an hour each way to deliver it to me. IDK where else these deals are. Best car deal I ever got, for sure, even with the problems.
I posted some pics on the sticky, but I'm gonna go outside and take some more pics and try to clean it up a little before the rain stars.