New Clutch wont disengage HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Default New Clutch wont disengage HELP!

Ok i have a 95 camaro 3.4 engine. One day while driving something went wrong with the clutch and it wouldn't allow me to shift into any gear while the car was on. And if i started it in gear, it would start to pull forward.

So i replaced the Slave cylinder and still nothing, so i replaced the whole clutch kit. Replaced the throw out bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot bushing, i used the clutch alignment tool, put the tranny back in. still nothing. then i replaced the master clutch cylinder. all parts are brand new from the parts store.

It seems like the slave cylinder isnt throwing enough to disengage the clutch.
There isnt any air in the system i made sure of that. It only pushing out about 1 inch.

Can anyone tell me how far the slave cylinder is supposed to push the forks. Ive tried adjusting the pivot ball, im just afraid of adjusting it to far and being unsafe. Is it possible that there is more than one slave cylinder with a longer shaft or smaller housing.

Any information would be appreciated, or ideas on what to try, or what it could be. Thanks in advance

Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the linkage under the dash. look for any misalignment and/or lose bolts.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by craby
check the linkage under the dash. look for any misalignment and/or lose bolts.
There is no linkage under the dash. Just the master Clutch cylinder (witch i replaced and secured tightly) for the hydraulic system. It connects to the clutch pedal (no adjustment) then goes through the firewall and bolts to the firewall with a U bolt, then a brake line that goes to the slave cylinder that bolts stationary with no adjustment. Put over 23 hours into work trying to get the system to work correctly, getting really fed up with it.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you follow the bleeding proceedure?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there are only a few things that can cause your problem. have someone press the peddle down as u watch the clutch peddle linkage operate. look for any loosness. if its not the linkage then it sounds like air in the system. getting air outa these is a pita. gorn may have a link to the best way to do it.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 AM

I think there is still air in the system, we bleed the slave cylinder by pumping it with our hands untill there wasnt any air coming out of the reservoir, we even put a vacuum at the top of the reservoir but had no success of getting any air out of it. But if i pump the clutch a few times i can get it to go into gear with the car started. Took it for a drive yesterday, hopefully by driving it and pumping the clutch it will work the air out of the system and be back to normal, if not then i will have to keep trying to bleed the system

Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep if u have to pump it to make it work right id say you are right and theres some air in there. hopefully itll work out like u say.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

just sit there and pump it i had the same problem when i did my clutch just keep pumping it it took me prob like 10 min of pumping and man did my leg hurt

Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM

well i had my father in law talk to his friends in the automotive department at Towson University of maryland, he said there has been times when he had to pump it for 3 and 4 hours to get the air out of the system. He said Chevy had alot of complaints about the system and thats why after 95 they put a bleeder valve on it.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya it seems like a good idea everytime you push in your clutch it helps all the air get out but in your case its such a pain in the ***

Quick Reply: New Clutch wont disengage HELP!