New to Camaros and this forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Default New to Camaros and this forum

Hey everyone! Just joined up as I am also in some other forums for my trucks and do all the work on them myself.....
I just bought a 2000 Camaro with the 6cyl with 40K on the clock for my daughter as a present for her return from Afghanistan and since I am usually the one that does all the work on her vehicles, I figured I would get some info from those who own and drive em.

The car is in showroom condition. not even a single chip on the paint and it drives and runs great.

So I figured I would get as much info as I could so should anything crop up, I could be ready for it.

Thanks all!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

First off. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy the car and tell her thank you for her service I have a great deal of respect for those who serve.

What kind of info are you looking for to be specific?

Exterior, Interior, Performance, Common issues?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gh0st
First off. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy the car and tell her thank you for her service I have a great deal of respect for those who serve.

What kind of info are you looking for to be specific?

Exterior, Interior, Performance, Common issues?

Thank you. I will tell her.

I would think I will be starting with performance. I raised her alone since she was 1 so she turned out ALOT like me. If it has a motor and wheels...It can go faster! and she doesn't hesitate to remind me of this.

I am already looking into intakes and exhaust to cover the "breathing basics". Are there any performance chips or programmers out there for these? CAI kits?

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/ is a good place to start. They have suggestions on just about everything you can do to a Camaro.

I have a K&N CAI, Pace Setter Mid-Headers, MagnaFlow HiFlow Exhaust, TBS and that's just about it for performance on mine. I'm going to cam it and chip it here once I get the money. I know you can chip them, I don't have much experience with that though.

You can click the link in my signature and check out what I have done to my camaro. I have lots of pictures and links to where to purchase things the cheapest.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Wanna go fast with a 3.8? You are in luck there is a guy here that has built his into the 13 second range with no boost or juice. His name is MusicMan, search his threads it is one called project 3800 sleeper or something like that. Also search the net for the Tom Henry 3800

Welcome to the forums, and thank your daughter for me too. Any man or woman that serves has my thanks. I served in the Navy for 5 years until a knee injury forced me out.

Massey

Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what kind of bucks are we talkin on spending. the 2000 has a very good air intake system as it is, you can mod the stock intake and add a hp filter to get as much as any aftermarket intake. if legal in your state, long tube headers would be a good choice and a nice cat back exhaust would compliment the previous two mods. once done with your mods have the pcm tuned at a place like this. http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...per&Itemid=313 i know what you have been through, raised my daughter from age 3, also to add to what has been said, i would like to convey the site and its members thanks to your girl for her service to our great country. go USA. ya know if theres any left you might be able to pick up a camaro forums t shirt from nj to send her.

Last edited by craby; 02-05-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the links and info guys! Looks like we are gonna have some fun with this.
As for the $$.... I would say that about $2000 is where we are at now. More later.
As for what is legal.... she lives in town and they have all sorts of emissions regs but... the car is registered in the county I live in and this is a non-emissions county. So the car could have straight pipes all the way back and they could care less. Just show insurance and you get your registration.
It's good to know that there are chipping possibilities as the first couple of sites I checked out said that there are no chips for these cars. Although I didn't actually believe that. but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Overdrive Member

There are no chips for these cars, that much is true. The profiles for the engine are stored on flash memory similar to a USB mem stick. It is called EEPROM. The computer can be reprogramed via a laptop with the proper cable and software.

Massey

Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dont forget he can send his pcm in and have it tuned.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Massey
There are no chips for these cars, that much is true. The profiles for the engine are stored on flash memory similar to a USB mem stick. It is called EEPROM. The computer can be reprogramed via a laptop with the proper cable and software.

Massey
Ok.... now that is a good solution. Laptop....no problem. But knowledge of settings with fuel delivery, throttle position, airflow, timing..... fair. How difficult is it? Or is it click and drive?

Quick Reply: New to Camaros and this forum