New Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Camaro

My wife recently bought her brother's 96 RS. It's pretty sharp with the body kit and all but he let it go to ****. Door panel clips are missing, tears in the seats and carpet, power windows work when they feel like it etc. It's far from perfect but it runs solid. It's not a vehicle for the long term so I figured that if we manage to keep it when it comes time to get her a new vehicle I'd really like to turn it into my project car. I'm amatuer at best when it comes to cars, I can change my oil, breaks, etc. Basically I can fix what I need to to keep it going down the road and learn as I go. I figured since this car is sort of has a black eye this would be a goodbasis to just start a project and learn and build it up as a go piece by piece. I was thinking about an LT1, getting rid of that pathetic little 3.8,and mating that up to some sort of manual transmission for starters. Just looking for any help and ideas as to where I could take this car. I want to make it nice and light weight, and has a decent suspsension, something I can really throw around into the corners and eventually put 500 or so horse to the rear wheels. Anyway this is a pretty open project, just wanted some other opinions as to where I should start with the car. Nothing is off limits, including to gutting the interior and so forth.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: New Camaro

hope you are rich.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The LT1 conversion has been talked about many times on this board. It just not worth it. The LT1 engines in decent shape with its mated 6 speed tranny will cost between 2-3K the mods required to get it in you car could cost another 1K. Add in reflasingof the computer you could see almost 5K for the convertion. When you are done you have a car that will be tuff to sell.You could trade you 96 inon a 98 and get a stock LS1 for about the same cost.
The 3.8 is not a bad motor,if its in good shape then upgrade the exhaust and throw a turbo on it. Do the job right and you might increase the value of the car.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Gorn

The LT1 conversion has been talked about many times on this board. It just not worth it. The LT1 engines in decent shape with its mated 6 speed tranny will cost between 2-3K the mods required to get it in you car could cost another 1K. Add in reflasingof the computer you could see almost 5K for the convertion. When you are done you have a car that will be tuff to sell.You could trade you 96 inon a 98 and get a stock LS1 for about the same cost.
The 3.8 is not a bad motor,if its in good shape then upgrade the exhaust and throw a turbo on it. Do the job right and you might increase the value of the car.
it just depends, I got my LT1 and 6speed tranny all for $1200.00. I had my husband put it in, it really didnt cost much. If you find a good deal it could be worth doing.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Easiest is going to be to find a wrecked donor car. That way you will have everything you could possibly need.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: gvmv

Easiest is going to be to find a wrecked donor car. That way you will have everything you could possibly need.
Yep thats exactly how I got mine. Paid 1200 for the whole car and I had everything I needed.. I had to buy a new alternator and a couple other little things. But yes I agree that is the easiest.